Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
91 Civic Si
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months back I bought a cold air intake off of ebay for my 91 Si (D16A6). My car is fairly stock (its my beater) other than exhaust and suspenion goodies so a figure i'd through a CAI on if for better gas mileage and maybe a few extra hp. The install was pretty straight forward and the fit was good for a $20 intake.

The results were not very impressive, i noticed no power gains or no better mpg. What i did notice was that driving in the rain this thing sucks water big time. While driving in the rain any time i went over 50% throttle the car would start to missfire and bog due to sucking in water. This is the 4th car i've owned that i have used CAI's on and it is the first time i have ever had problems with it suckin in water.

Since then i've simply removed the lower pipe from the CAI and put the filter on the end of the upper pipe to make a basic short ram style intake, no more sucking water.

Here is a pic of the sytle of intake used.

Hope this reveiw helps someone out.

·
Registered
510 Posts
in the rain this thing sucks water big time. While driving in the rain any time i went over 50% throttle the car would start to missfire and bog due to sucking in water. This is the 4th car i've owned that i have used CAI's on and it is the first time i have ever had problems with it suckin in water.
Bypass valve, dude. OMG

·
Registered
598 Posts
Bypass valve, dude. OMG
If your gonna spend 20 bucks on an intake, you really think its worth buying a bypass valve for at least twice that..!?

The intake shouldnt suck in water just from rain anyway. The only time you should be having problems is through deep puddles where the filter is submerged.

Im sure the review will make a lot of people think twice. :TU:

·
Registered
91 Civic Si
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If your gonna spend 20 bucks on an intake, you really think its worth buying a bypass valve for at least twice that..!?

The intake shouldnt suck in water just from rain anyway. The only time you should be having problems is through deep puddles where the filter is submerged.

Im sure the review will make a lot of people think twice. :TU:
That was my thinking exactly. I've never had any water isses with CAI's from just driving in the rain until this one which is the only reason i made this post.

lol, you arent going to notice power gains from any intake...
If you honestly believe that you are clueless. It really depends on how restrictive the factory induction system is, some cars factory intakes are great but some are horrible. Like i said in my original post, i was only looking for better gas mileage and maybe a few extra hp.

Anyway, i hope this reveiw helps someone.

·
Registered
510 Posts
That was my thinking exactly. I've never had any water isses with CAI's from just driving in the rain until this one which is the only reason i made this post.
Yikes! Time bomb!

·
Registered
598 Posts
Yikes! Time bomb!
What are you on about?!

The bypass valve is there to stop water getting sucked up when the filter is SUBMERGED, not in the rain...

There is no reason that just raindrops are going to cause a problem. I have never seen a documented case of anyone having hydro lock caused by a raindrop....

I fully intend to drive my new build with the CAI and no bypass valve. Ill just be avoiding big puddles, and not going through any at speed.

·
Formally known as SPONSOREDCRX
3,566 Posts
should put an k&n filter on it. if you are going to gain anything its going from an k&n.

·
Registered
999 Posts
should put an k&n filter on it. if you are going to gain anything its going from an k&n.
i was going to say the same thing... that paper filter china crap is restricting soo much

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
If you honestly believe that you are clueless. It really depends on how restrictive the factory induction system is, some cars factory intakes are great but some are horrible. Like i said in my original post, i was only looking for better gas mileage and maybe a few extra hp.
clueless? so you think you can actually feel 3-5hp? i think you are clueless for actually thinking that your brain can actually tell the difference that makes in a 2000lb car...

·
Registered
91 Civic Si
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
clueless? so you think you can actually feel 3-5hp? i think you are clueless for actually thinking that your brain can actually tell the difference that makes in a 2000lb car...
Where did i say that i can feel 3-5hp?

Where did i say that i tell the difference that makes in a 2000lb car?

Seriously, please quote me where i said that, show me how clueless i am....

The fact is, some CAI's on some cars yeild very noticable gains and some yeild no gains at all. If you don't believe that you are wrong.

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
Where did i say that i can feel 3-5hp?

Where did i say that i tell the difference that makes in a 2000lb car?

Seriously, please quote me where i said that, show me how clueless i am....

The fact is, some CAI's on some cars yeild very noticable gains and some yeild no gains at all. If you don't believe that you are wrong.
i noticed no power gains
derr... :hammer:

you were expecting to feel the miniscule hp gain any intake would give. its not going to happen...

·
Registered
The road
159 Posts
I've never gained any Mpg with an intake. Actually loose some because I cant keep my foot out of it. But anywho. I cant say you are wrong. Something happen to some people that will never happen to others. Like winning a million dollars. BTW you still have the cavi? Loved hearing about the cop who wrote you the "toyota" ticket on the j-body web..

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have never thought that the chance of hydrolocking my car was worth the miniscule amount of power gained from a CAI...and thats my $0.02

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
I am just going to go out on a limb here and guess that you have NO fender lining what so ever. That is the only way i could see a CAI being a problem in VERY heavy rain. It doesnt matter if you have a k&n or a cheap ebay filter, you shouldnt be sucking up water from just rain.................unless you are playing "hit the puddle", which it kinda sounds like you are doing from the way you describe how bad it is sucking up the water.

·
Registered
96dx saloon
990 Posts
i do play "hit the puddle" as you call it and i still dont have problems sucking up water in my ebay intake. the fender liner is key though. without it, i can see you having a problem.

ryan

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
i do play "hit the puddle" as you call it and i still dont have problems sucking up water in my ebay intake. the fender liner is key though. without it, i can see you having a problem.

ryan
yeah right, ive rode with you and ive never seen you try to hit every puddle that youve seen. Come one now.................You obviously dont know the rules of "hit the puddle"

But on a serious note, you need to run a fender liner. Im not saying your not, but that sounds like your prob.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
its all in your head...

well, stronger mid range pull isn't the same as peak hp gain.

my first intake was a weapon r hyper intake, i switched to a carbon fiber intake(circa2002lol) and rode it for a few months. i got curious and put the weapon r back and noticed a stronger mid range pull.

ebay 3inch short ram. switched to da integra 2.5 inch aem short ram. switched back to 3 inch short ram and noticed a stronger mid range pull as well.

may have been in my head, but i know which intake i'm running.;)

1 - 20 of 54 Posts