Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what the ebay chinariffic turbos flow? Im looking at the 50 trim .63 AR t3/t4 turbos. It looks like they are all the same, probably all come from the same Chinese factory. I hear people have decent luck with these and seeing how I can buy 5 for the price of one real name brand turbo Im thinking why not.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Hybrid-T3-T4-TURBO-CHARGER-63-A-R-TRIM-Stage-III-TURBOCHARGER-300HP-/261169413985?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3ccee8ff61&vxp=mtr

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
If you must get an ebay turbo get Emusa or Cx racing.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you must get an ebay turbo get Emusa or Cx racing.
You rocked one for a while right? Did it blow up on you? I currently have a garrett t3 60 .48, .42. I want to get to 300whp but it really hurts spending $700 on another garrett turbo

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
I have used 2 of the EMUSA turbos. The first (t3/t4 50trim) is on another car running like a champ, and the second (t3 60/63) has given me no issues since installing it last year. Both were only run at 10psi, but this spring I will be turning the 60/63 up to 16-18psi. If it's not balanced properly I figure that will make itself known pretty quick.

Personally, I am confident it won't be an issue. It's my opinion that most of failures seen (on Chinese and US turbos) stem from user install error. Bad oil feed and/or bad oil drain lines.

With that said, don't think a 100-200 dollar turbo is going to be the same quality as a Garrett turbo. Though that should go without saying.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've been running my emusa turbo for about 2yrs now. 50 trim 63ar. im running 15psi on it. No shaft play, No burning oil. It pull hard as it did the day i put it on. I love it. I say go for it.

·
Classic Man
16,355 Posts
They arent the same at all.

The compressor and turbine wheels are different. And much less efficient.

The turbine housing is different.

The compressor housing is less efficient.

Not the same at all, or really even comparable.

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
Most ebay turbos that's advertised as 50 trim are significantly smaller as Danz said above.
Here's a picture of my "AKA" Emusa 50trim against Turbonetics "Real" 50trim .63ar and Garrett 57trim 60/63 turbo. Look closely on the compressor sizes and you will find out for yourself.

Regarding your question, i made 300whp on the emusa turbo at 18psi on 93 oc pump and lasted the whole season. The only reason i had to rebuild the turbo is that because my return is kink and my feedline is -4an which is big for most turbos. My suggestion is to run a -3an feedline get rid of the restrictor, make sure your return line is 100% kink free and change your oil frequently. Cheers!

Goodluck!

·
Retired From Hondas
2,795 Posts
Lets also mention the chinese knockoffs center section arent designed for high speeds and lateral loads.

Some people have luck with them, others who push them past 10-12lbs end up with a chunk of scrap.

The construction of the knockoffs arent up to the same standards as the real deal.

Just looking at that picture shows just how far off the housings are and also the wheel. It might be stamped 50 trim, but looking closely, it looks more like a .42 super 60 size

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
Lets also mention the chinese knockoffs center section arent designed for high speeds and lateral loads.

Some people have luck with them, others who push them past 10-12lbs end up with a chunk of scrap.

The construction of the knockoffs arent up to the same standards as the real deal.

Just looking at that picture shows just how far off the housings are and also the wheel. It might be stamped 50 trim, but looking closely, it looks more like a .42 super 60 size
Agreed! Mine didn't like 18 psi and up that's when shaft play comes to play

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I've done a lot of research on this, here's what I know. The main problem is a mix of poor balance & soft bearings/seals. If you catch bad bearings quick, you can replace them with Garrett parts which last longer. G-popshop will rebalance your turbo for $65 plus shipping, which would end up being under $100 totoal, or you may have a local diesel turbo ship in your backyard that will do it for half that. A lot of DSM people use the CDM 16g turbos, which are the same T3 housing as the Garrett knock-offs, mated to MHI-style comp & turbine parts. They run theirs at much higher shaft speeds & boost.

Another option I found is a different ebay turbo. It appears to be a copy of the Turbonetics 50trim t3/t4. It's inducer is ~3mm larger (53.87mm vs 50.8mm), has a more attractive housing, and has a better turbine. It has 10 convoluted turbine fins vs 11 straight fins on most Garret stg3 turbines and 12 straight fins on most CDM copies. The turbine housing is the one question mark, but I suspect its .63ar, not .50ar as posted. Search ebay for "53.87 t3 turbo" and click the "include descriptions" box.

T3 Flange Compressor Turbine 50AR 4 Bolt Downpipe Flange T3 Turbo Charger | eBay

·
Registered
225 Posts
I rocked a Ilove taco taco 50trim .63 ar turbo for over a year, but did not like my spool time compared to the 19T i'm useing. Used a 1mm restrictor in the oil feed and turbo worked good at 1,3-1,4bar of boost. my 580cc injectors worked at 96%. so there was power in the car :) but 5000-7800rpm is to short of a powerband for me :(

·
Registered
731 Posts
Is it possible too buy a crappy ebay turbo and just have the bearings and seals replaced with garretts or are the sizes way too far off between the two???

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
That's what my boy did with his Godspeed GT35. He had it rebuilt with garret rebuild kit. It was a brand new unused turbo when he had it rebuilt and it came back with tighter feeling wheels. So I guess a quality rebuild kit is worth it.....

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
I've done a lot of research on this, here's what I know. The main problem is a mix of poor balance & soft bearings/seals. If you catch bad bearings quick, you can replace them with Garrett parts which last longer. G-popshop will rebalance your turbo for $65 plus shipping, which would end up being under $100 totoal, or you may have a local diesel turbo ship in your backyard that will do it for half that. A lot of DSM people use the CDM 16g turbos, which are the same T3 housing as the Garrett knock-offs, mated to MHI-style comp & turbine parts. They run theirs at much higher shaft speeds & boost.

Another option I found is a different ebay turbo. It appears to be a copy of the Turbonetics 50trim t3/t4. It's inducer is ~3mm larger (53.87mm vs 50.8mm), has a more attractive housing, and has a better turbine. It has 10 convoluted turbine fins vs 11 straight fins on most Garret stg3 turbines and 12 straight fins on most CDM copies. The turbine housing is the one question mark, but I suspect its .63ar, not .50ar as posted. Search ebay for "53.87 t3 turbo" and click the "include descriptions" box.

T3 Flange Compressor Turbine 50AR 4 Bolt Downpipe Flange T3 Turbo Charger | eBay
if it's a 53.87mm inducer, it's an actual 50 trim vs a "50 trim"

·
Classic Man
16,355 Posts
Is it possible too buy a crappy ebay turbo and just have the bearings and seals replaced with garretts or are the sizes way too far off between the two???
Sure its possible! Then you can have a shitty turbo with good bearings. Just what everyone wants. :)

1 - 20 of 53 Posts