Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(i was debating putting this in the noob forum... lol)

What is the quickest and easiest way to resolve a jumped tooth.

basically, i installed the timing belt on my D16A6 per the D15B2 instructions. (i guess thats what ya get when you try to use an EG service manual for an ED... lol) it leaves the ignition timing too far retarded.

so i need to slip the timing belt off the cam gear and align it properly.

i would rather not pull the engine mount and crank pulley again.

my plan for tomorrow is to loosen off the tensioner, pop off the upper timing cover and try to slide the TB off the gear so i can turn it a lil to get it where i need it. anyone done this or have a better suggestion? anyone tried this and failed? lol

anyone got any insight? would i be better off to just yank off the crank pulley and timing cover?

it runs!! but its GUTLESS down low hahaha.
:dots:

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
or just use a timing light, and play with the dizzy until its 14 degrees or 16 degrees, depending on what motor. takes literally 2 minuted to do.... the dizzy can fix the issue, as long as its only off by 1-2 teeth

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
or just use a timing light, and play with the dizzy until its 14 degrees or 16 degrees, depending on what motor. takes literally 2 minuted to do.... the dizzy can fix the issue, as long as its only off by 1-2 teeth
i must be off by 3 teeth or more, the most i could advance it is to 9deg.

You can loosen the belt up enough to slip the cam gear one tooth. No need to take all teh rest of it apart, just make sure that #1 is at TDC on the compresion stroke before you slip your belt.
good news. ill give it a go tomorrow.

·
Registered
'91 CRX Si
2,158 Posts
You can loosen the belt up enough to slip the cam gear one tooth. No need to take all teh rest of it apart, just make sure that #1 is at TDC on the compresion stroke before you slip your belt.
Yeah, Its really easy.

Loosen tensioner (14mm)
Slide t-belt off
Move cam slightly in the necessary direction (12mm)
Slide t-belt on
Turn crank 3 teeth on cam gear to eliminate slack in t-belt (17mm)
Tighten tensioner (14mm)

Loosen tensioner and repeat the last two steps if the t-belt is still loose.

If you dont feel like going to TDC you can just take a sharpie like me and make a mark on the cam gear and belt then move it 1 tooth over.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
weird that it would even run/idle like that.

i dunno man, the most i could get was a few degrees out of the dizzy. maybe its different on an a6?

thanks for the tips on how to tension the belt boys. thankfully, i did that correctly. :):pinch:

just that damn EG service manual gave two options (well 3 if i include the z1), line up the level marks with the head (B7 B8 ), or line up the arrow to the lower mark (Z6).

i was thinking to myself, do i go with the D16 instructions or the D15 instructions... (this decision was made even harder because the a6 is basically B2 head on a D16 block! lol)

and then i check out the Haynes manual and that thing is the biggies piece of shit ever. it only gave one description/option, to line up the level marks with the head surface... so i did that... :(

well, for anyone reading, use the Z6 instructions, or just use a good ED service manual!!! lol

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,237 Posts
DO NOT LOOSEN the tensioner, just slide the belt off, adjust cam, slide belt back on.

I did this without even unstrapping the car from the dyno back when I tested it, almost 10 years ago.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DO NOT LOOSEN the tensioner, just slide the belt off, adjust cam, slide belt back on.

I did this without even unstrapping the car from the dyno back when I tested it, almost 10 years ago.
cool bone. ill try it first without touching the tensioner.

:bigok:

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts

With a brand new belt I don't see that happening...but kudos!

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Or you can use a wire to pull the tensioner the tight the bolt...
im just trying to figure out what this guy is talking about??? heheh

thanks again guys.

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
im just trying to figure out what this guy is talking about??? heheh

thanks again guys.
stick a wire down to grab the tensioner and pull it up to put tension on the belt then tighten up the bolt... so you dont have to take off the cover

i guess thats what hes trying to say

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
you still have to put tension on the belt
what in the world are you talking about?? sometimes i question your motives for posting, and its rather annoying. :wacko:

i guess you havnt read the part of the service manual that describes how to tension the belt. it has nothing to do with hooking a wire up to the tensioner and pulling on it... rofl

for those who dont know:
at TDC loosen off the tensioner 180deg, rotate counter clockwise 3 teeth, then tq down the tensioner.... all tensioned up. :bigok:

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

worked great bone. ty. it was a little tough to get the belt back on but im sure i saved time overall. :bigok:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts