Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 89 crx hf. I done all I can for power thats worth while on a 8v :) headers, CAI, Exhaust. I'd like to know whats the easiest engine/tranny swap, that will be the most reliable for the power it puts out. Also what would be a good swap to put a turbo with lower psi On. Basically I'm loking for a easy JDM swap w/ tranny that I can just swap right in, do a header, CAI, exhaust and small psi turbo on and be done. Nice power, and reliable. I don't expect 250+ HP, but a nice 150+ would be nice... All help appreciated.. Thanks, Joe

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
88-91 a6 motor/trans. you probably wont make 150hp unless you dump a bunch of money into it, but you will be extremely surprised with the power difference between it and the stock motor

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
any other ideas? what else is a dead direct drop in for the crx??? I was thinking about just doing the header,CAI, and exhaust on whatver engine tranny combo I drop in. Also I'd like to be able to put a small turbo setup on the engine swap without redoing the bottom end. that said.. Wouold a DOHC, or SOHC zc swap with a turbo be a good direct swap?? thanks, Joe

·
Registered
93 integra ls b18c
2,633 Posts
i was about to say dohc zc, if you go to upgrade parts later they can be pricey though. but i love mine, something like 130 at the crank out of the box. if you want the least headaches then stay obd0 (converting isn't hard though). so the a6, sohc zc, dohc zc. and ditch the hf tranny. if you wanted to convert d16z6 or jdm d15b, they still drop right in but you will have to convert to obd1.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
and switching to obd1 would just mean switchig the ecu correct??? i was thinking a DOHC ZC with , CAI, EXhaust, small turbo setup.. Sound god.. Also explain what i'd need except engine and tranny to do the dohc zc swap.. thanks for dealing with my noobishness :) Joe

·
Registered
93 integra ls b18c
2,633 Posts
and switching to obd1 would just mean switchig the ecu correct???
what ryan89crx said

i was thinking a DOHC ZC with , CAI, EXhaust, small turbo setup.. Sound god.. Also explain what i'd need except engine and tranny to do the dohc zc swap.. thanks for dealing with my noobishness :) Joe
if you can get a hold of a dohc basically, you really don't need a CAi if you are going turbo soon. exhaust for a small turbo setup around 2.5" piping, if you plan on pumping more boost later go ahead and get the 3". i would but i hate doing things twice.

you can run with any of the trannies that come in the 88-91 crx/civics, put defintaly get rid of the hf tranny

short version of swap if you get an obdo dohc zc

remove motor, tranny, and wiring togther
remove wiring harness
set hf motor on fire (not really)
do preventive maintenance to dohc zc (i.e. timing belt, water pump, possible seals etc..)
thezcr as a sticky of all the parts for the dohc zc
if you want to upgrade your clutch do it know
transfer wiring harness to dohc zc (there will be a few connectors left over just seal them with tape or something)
use on of these adapters for the dizzy or make one
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/88-91-HONDA-CIVIC-CRX-DOHC-ZC-ADAPTER-HARNESS-OBD-0-JDM_W0QQitemZ190208584639QQihZ009QQcategoryZ46098QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
if using the hf tranny transfer it know
if using any other tranny or the zc tranny (if you got it and removed it to upgrade the clutch)attach it to the engine know
reinstall engine, tranny, wiring in car
install pm7,pm6 or pg7 ecu
check over everything
fire it up and enjoy

a dohc zc obd1 follows some of the same procedures, and if you want to make the motor obd0 go get a dizzy an cam position sensor from a 88-89 integra, and i think you have to extend the coolant fan switch sensor wire becuase it's mounted in a different location

if you decide to get the zc tranny make sure you get the intermediate shaft with it, also you will need either teg axles, make a custom set, or by a custom set

also you probably are going to have to do one or two thing. cut the hood webbing a little where the exhaust cam gear sits. that or run with out the upper timing belt cover

don't get me wrong a6's are nice i just like the DOHC zc

but all in all a SOHC motor is going to be cheaper to build in the long run

·
my dd has 1800 ftlbs of torque
peterbilt
3,890 Posts
k24 block and k20z3 head it is easy as pie j/k but i know someone who is running that n/a in his ef and is running 10.9

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
Im doing a mini me swap, (I was in the same situation you were in, took the head off of my EIGHT valve engine only to realize that you cant just put a z6 SIXTEEN valve head onto an EIGHT valve engine.) So i ditched the block, im going to get a ZC third gear, (This will make the HF tranny, the closest gear tranny you can buy, Hard part is getting the gear..) And i had the head/block milled .5 thousands had the cylinders honed professionally. And put new bearings and rings into it. I should be good to go now with my a6/z6 combo. If anything, ill just ditch the HF tranny, put the fifth gear from the hf into an SI tranny and be smooth sailing from there on out.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
You need more than a ZC 3rd in a Hf tranny to shorten it. Look into it, or save some troube and just get an Si tranny and be done.

·
Registered
90 CRX Si
3,866 Posts
If you're looking to stay D, I'd swap in a obd0 A6 and stay away from vtec.

Honestly, since its an 89 hf and so super light, I'd swap in an obd0 B16 and call it a day. It'd probably be at least as fast as a built NA D series, and you don't have to worry about the lack of torque since its such a light car...Who needs torque anyways, all it does is spin tires, lol. Besides, we're used to no torque, we drive hondas, haha

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks for all the info guys.. yeah I'm trying to keep the swap as simple and aas beneficial/reliable as possible. Just with the minor bolt on upgrades and a small turbo setup.. I'm thinking either the zc, with a small turbo...thanks guys. jdmaddiction.com is is my town.. what motor would you suggest from there. There prices seem realy good.. they have dohc zc with trannys for liek$600 let me know what yiou think... thanks, Joe

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
if anyone get a chance check jdmaddiction.com.. what would make a good cheap swap with a small turbo.. they are in my town so no shipping :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts