Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
EX coupe
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi now i know Vtec needs to be a high revving factor and must kick in higher, but is it possible to lower it to like 5000 RPM instead of the stock setting. Would this be of any benifet, or just hurt the engine??

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
Well it wont hurt you motor, but it is @ that point because for stock config that is best rpm to have it. What motor do you have? I suspect Y8.
But its not good to go low either because cams have different profiles make them make power up to certain RPM and right before they are about to drop is where you want it to switch over to next profile "VTEC" to make more power through top end.. You see what I am saying??

·
Registered
EX coupe
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah makes great sense, i had always wonderd about this, but wasnt entirly sure. i do have a d16y8. I have I/H/E some timming work done, and tunning. runs great, has good power just wasnt sure if it helped any to adjust it slightly. i cant wait to go TURBO!!! awww sooo soon, so very soon.

·
Registered
96 hatch
593 Posts
it's possible that lowering it could be to some benifit on some setups but you really need to strap it on a dyno to find the best point. just lowering it doesn't mean more power.

·
Registered
EX coupe
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah that is totally true, i know it would need dyno tuning, but first thing would be first. if it was even a benifical thing to mess with.

·
Registered
93 DelSol S, 95 DelSol Si, 01 Odyssey EX, 04 CRV EX
2,172 Posts
its really only necessary to change it if u change your cam timing or your cam itself..... it really doesn't make power, and setting it too early will not help as the switchover is instantaneous (no spool up type deal).

I did notice that my powerband felt smoother with the vtec set sooner, but it didnt give more power... it just killed a little of my low end.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts