Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have question for some one who may know.

I have a set of eagle rods with Je high comp pistons, i bought them put together. I am finally getting around to building my turbo block again. I was going to use those eagle rods with my vitaras. The machine shop guy told me i would need to get different rods. I dont have the equip to press out the wrist pin on the je pistons. Does any know if that is true? Once he presses the Je pistons out I cant use the free floating wrist pin design?

Thank you.

James

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,110 Posts
I thought vitaras used floating pins......why are they pressed?

·
Registered
1997 Civic DX Hatch
984 Posts
he currently has high comp pistons that are pressed but wants to put vitaras on the same rods now.

my guess as to why the machine shop wants new rods would be due to rating them? not sure if reheating is a good idea or not? idk i dont see a problem with it. also possible after using pressed wrist pins its changes the inner diameter of the little end on the rod and making too much clearance for the floating wrist pin.

but again idk.

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
Your comp is going to be super low with those pistons. Tuning techniques have improved greatly in the last few years and the compression hieght is vastly different between OEM spec and Vitaras. Plus the dish on Vitaras was like 14cc or 11cc dish depending on which ones you purchased. I remember playing with the calculator and it saw a 7:1 comp at the lowest. Stock on a z6 is 9:1. Better to either get custom length rods or different pistons

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have used eagle/vitara on my setup last time and didnt have an issue with it, my question is in regards to the rods not being able to be used with floating wrist pins after a pressed in one was used.

Thank you guys for the info.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Press fit = interference fit.

Floating fit = there is clearance.

You can always go to floating from press, but not the other way around.

You can make a hole bigger, shrinking it is harder. :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's what I was thinking as well. Thank you for the info. Wasn't sure if anyone had expierence doing that. I think my brother has another set of eagles off a vitara set up he had, he may let me use.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will grab pictures of the rods with high comp pistons. It looks like the wrist pin is a press fit on the piston. The rod moves freely on the wrist pin side to side.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Pistons are not press fit . . . it's a metal pin in an aluminum piston . . . the piston hole would expand thereby making your "press-fit" a floating fit. Regardless of whether your rods are press-fit or floating, the wrist pin is going to be .0005" or so loose in the bore in the piston.

Pistons either have a groove for a c-clip/wire-loc or space for a bushing against the cylinder for floating or nothing for a press-fit, in which case the interference fit is in the small end of the rod.

If the rods have a pressed in liner made of bronze, they are floating and you need to retain the pin by clips in the piston or bushings. If the rod doesn't have a liner in the small end, then it is more likely press-fit and doesn't require a retention method for the wrist pin in the piston.

I will grab pictures of the rods with high comp pistons. It looks like the wrist pin is a press fit on the piston. The rod moves freely on the wrist pin side to side.
If the rod moves ON the wrist pin instead of WITH the wrist pin, then you have floating rods.

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
those are floating pin pistons, I can see the C clips.

(I don't think anyone makes forged honda press rods/pistons)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ah. I guess I didnt look closely enough at it! Thank you for the help all. I am going to post these up for sale soon, as I wont need/use them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts