Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what are the advantages and disadvantages of running e85 gas. How does one get to the point of running this gas? What modifications are necessary? I've tried searching and it really didn't come up with anything, if there already is one out there, i'm sorry.

·
Friend of the D
3,069 Posts
uhh if u just put e85 in the search bar there are a couple.

http://www.d-series.org/forums/showthread.php?t=100822
Actually, it really doesn't like 3 letter phrases that well (Google's OK with them....) I used ethanol instead and also found:

http://www.d-series.org/forums/showthread.php?t=96619&highlight=ethanol

http://www.d-series.org/forums/showthread.php?t=88527&highlight=ethanol

http://www.d-series.org/forums/showthread.php?t=86078&highlight=ethanol

why run it anyway? gas is cheaper now

if you want to mod your car for something smart,

try vegetable oil.
you need to put a diesel in it first...
That's Bio-Diesel dude! Great stuff, but not very useful in our Civics. I don't think Honda even has a small 4cyl diesel they sell over seas.

it's a cheaper race gas from what i've been reading, get more horsepower out of it. why not? I live in mn also and e85 isn't scarce.
Read the links. You'll need bigger injectors, but probably no other major changes besides the tune.

As for why to run E85, it's at least 100 octane, why do you think someone would want to run it?

·
Registered
857 Posts
I really dunno will I even want to participate this discussion anymore..

Maybe I just say the cons are far bigger than pros, and it IS VERY FAR from being "ecological" or "bio" solution. For saving the world and nature, this thing is EXACT OPPOSITE. It works locally in Brazil (in domestic use and needs only, because of political reasons) and thats it.

Higher octane reading is not synonym for higher power capability. I've never seen engine making significantly more power with e85 than it makes (or could make) with gasoline. Yes it tolerates more ignition timing, but remember it also burns slower so added timing is necessity to _maintain_ the performance...

·
Banned
1,137 Posts
The octane rating allows for more timing. The more fuel combined with more timing even though the burn rate is slower, creates more power on average than regular gasoline. Combine it with a small amount of race fuel or methanol injection and you have the ability to make ridiculous power.

·
Registered
397 Posts
For what I know it is a blend of 85% ethanol and gasoline (the other 15%).

This type of fuel is for environmental purpose and not for performance. There are some vehicles that can use this fuel and are marked as "FLEX FUEL" vehicles. With those you can use either e85 or gasoline.

With this fuel your car also will have lower milage, and you will have to tune it because the air/fuel ratio isn't the same as gasoline; and maybe use bigger injectors.

As others said, use high octane race fuel and you will have a lot more power with less tuning, etc. Maybe you can blend methanol or race fuel with regular gasoline and obtain something.

·
Banned
1,137 Posts
methanol injection and race fuel/gas mixes are already wide spread. no one i know of tunes on pure race gas. that'd be ridiculously expensive and not even necessary. methanol injection is already used to cool IAT's and add octane rating to normal pump gas.

E85 requires 30-40% more fuel so if you dont have that much Duty left on your injectors... you'll need bigger ones. E85 is cheaper than gas, and runs like race fuel. Thats why he wants to run it. So why throw ridiculously expensive alternatives at him?

Run E85 bud, just make sure your injectors have room left in them to be able to run the extra aprox. 33% more fuel. AFRs appear richer on a normal wideband, if my math is correct and on average I hear of 33% fuel added, stoich is aprox 9.85 AFR.

Now the detonation rating of E85 is higher, so you can advance your timing to get more power out of the car. To benefit you're gonna need to get the car on a dyno and see where it peaks on power, as well as reading up on timing and the affects on cylinder pressure.

I must say, I do not think its as beneficial if you are N/A though compared to FI. Just my opinion though.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Cooler charge, more torque than comparable pump gas setups, able withstand det better, cheaper (meh, not much if you're using 30% more upon full delivery), etc.

It was my plan on running it, but seeing no tuners familiar with tuning on it around my parts I'll stick with what tuners know...pump 93 and pump 110.

·
Friend of the D
3,069 Posts
Maybe I just say the cons are far bigger than pros, and it IS VERY FAR from being "ecological" or "bio" solution. For saving the world and nature, this thing is EXACT OPPOSITE. It works locally in Brazil (in domestic use and needs only, because of political reasons) and thats it.

Higher octane reading is not synonym for higher power capability. I've never seen engine making significantly more power with e85 than it makes (or could make) with gasoline. Yes it tolerates more ignition timing, but remember it also burns slower so added timing is necessity to _maintain_ the performance...
I'll participate, but I don't want to discuss how it's going to screw your car up, etc. There's a lot of politics behind E85 in this country too. There's certainly better things than corn to make ethanol from. This new grass they are starting to use, is supposed to yield five times the energy it takes to produce it.

Beyond that rushi, I curious if all you experience with E85 has been in NA applications? A lot of what you are talking about would indicate it's not a very good NA fuel, but those traits are fine when it comes to boost.

With this fuel your car also will have lower milage, and you will have to tune it because the air/fuel ratio isn't the same as gasoline; and maybe use bigger injectors.

As others said, use high octane race fuel and you will have a lot more power with less tuning, etc. Maybe you can blend methanol or race fuel with regular gasoline and obtain something.
This we know.... As far as blending stuff with your gas, that's fine for a race vehicle. In fact, let's forget methanol altogether and add a little nitromethane into the mix! Seriously, mixing fuels on a street vehicle isn't practical. If you don't mix it exactly the the same each time, your octane will vary too much (E85 is supposed to have some variances in octane as well BTW).

The reason guys are interested in E85 is you can get it (in at least some parts of the country) at the gas station around the corner. It's also probably the cheapest 100 oct fuel you'll find. I've always understood that you could run a lot of boost with alcohol, because of how it burns (and BTW, I don't think it matters a bit whether it's Methanol or Ethanol. Ethanol is just a lot easier on your fuel system). I'm wondering if E85 isn't a much better performance fuel for boost, than it is NA.

It was my plan on running it, but seeing no tuners familiar with tuning on it around my parts I'll stick with what tuners know...pump 93 and pump 110.
That's really the heart of it too. If your tuner isn't familar with it, I would pass too. I can't get E85 here in the NE, so it's a non issue. 93 pump is always available however.

·
Banned
1,137 Posts
E85 on average as I've read many places, has an Octane Rating of aprox 107.

And yes, as far as I can see the fuel is only beneficial for boost. There would be many downfalls for N/A I could see though.

·
Registered
ej2
1,388 Posts
I was running e85, one disadvantage is places to get it, and the lack of support, but its obviously high octane. I was running it and I definatly could feel the tq difference in just a little advancement in my timing in boost. Got a intresting burn smell... Before I let the engine pop from boost spiking I would get about 29ish mpg...not bad, also another to think about is that when tuning, if your tuning on a gasoline wideband, it'll be a regular 14.7 afr because the wideband is calibrated lambda 1.0 where for e85 is a lower lambda. Also the lean'est point for e85 is like 13s...something like that basicly on my wideband I could tune for 16s and be fine, where gasoline would start to get spits and sputtering

1 - 20 of 41 Posts