Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
98 Civic CX-T on E85
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im not sure if anyone will have an answer for me being as there is not a whole lot of us running E85 so here is a story and the question, so most of us know im running E85 on my 98 civic, and most of us know that it SUCKS to try and start your car in the winter while on it. so i parked my car in the garage for the winter with maybe a gallon of E85 left in the tank. its been sitting for about a month or so now and last night i decided to start it up, just to keep everything lubricated. when i went to start it 1. my battery was dead (not really surprised) 2. after i jumped it, and turned it over several times, it still didnt start. 3. every time i turned the key to the on position i here the fuel pump try to prime, which typically the first time you turn it to the on position you here it prime, but if you do it again and again you will only here the relay *click...so after all that, i decided to pull my spark plugs because i thought surely its flooded! i pull my #4 plug and its completely dry so i pull the rest and so are they...so my conclusion to this was that i must be out of fuel. i unscrewed my gas cap and their was no release of pressure from it... so here is the question: Could a gallon of E85 Evaporate within a month or so time??

when i get off work im going to add a couple gallons of E85 back in and see if it starts.

·
1.8 nawz powa
6,579 Posts
e85 is bad to separate when it sits for a while. I wouldn't go longer then a week without at least a crank and idle for a few mins to keep it mixed. I would guess yours is already to low on gas since most aftermarket pumps wont pick up as low as stock ones do. Put another couple gallons in it and that should mix it up good and then have enough to prime and crank. If this doesn't work, it might be your relay.

·
Registered
98 Civic CX-T on E85
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so turns out i was out of Corn!! so when added a couple gallons it fired right up! i will just make sure to start it once a week from now on. thanks for the input guys!

·
Registered
95 ex coupe
4,281 Posts
yeah e85 goes bad very quickly when it just sits

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
I have found that adding a couple cups of WD40 to my mix of E that it helps on cold starts and keeping water out of the fuel. It's winter time so unless you mix your own E, you buy E70ish at the station.

·
Banned
1,234 Posts
SO did you put E70 in it?
Yea, Im sure he did. But doesnt sound like hes driving it or racing around. So he can always retune, or just drain it and fill it with fresh E85 come summer or spring.

·
Ferio inspired
90' Civic sedan
2,441 Posts
wow, i was in the same boat. i had some extra fuel around and poured it in....

fired right up in the deathly cold 40s that Cali has :wacko: i still hate e85, but love how it runs!

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
It evaporates faster and absorbes water if left standing for to long. This can cause corrosion.

Water in the fuel can also corrode the fuel pump.

I would use it regularly or if I was going to park it foe more than a week or two, I would drain it and lube the tank with WD40 or similar.

If you do leave it with fuel in it, leave it full to the top with the cap on tight and the breather blocked off. Don't forget to open the breather before you start it again.

·
Registered
98 Civic CX-T on E85
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
actually my friend has this 300$ ethenol tester and we still have E85...

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
That's odd you guys still have e85, probably just don't sell enough and still had it in the ground.

What tester does your friend have?

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
Dan

The fuel is pretty much alcohol.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
really?? haha of course.

i was told my a local chemist that the Isopropyl alcohol will actively blend the water with what ever else is in the tank.

it was suggested to me to use for blending toluene with gasoline more evenly.

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
It will. Just about as good as ethanol does.

Acetone is also good at assisting some fuels to mix.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts