Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got to the stage of my build where premium pump gas is just not going to cut it. In order to make more power I needed to turn up the boost and sitting at 23psi on my 50 trim, I don't feel its very safe. Its tuned by a damn good tuner here in Mn, but I finally gave in and am going to E85 route.
Some things got me thinking... When I store the car, I was told by several people drain out the E85 and fill it with pump gas for storage. Then when spring comes( E85 is still in its E70 mix) Ill have to tune with this to start and then come June(E-85 is at its highest ethanol rating) Tune again? Does this seem correct? What have you guys done with your setups running E85? In a perfect world I want to be at 20psi and on E85, make more power and not run so much boost.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I cant speak on this issue of power with a turbo, since my car is running e85 but is just high compression.

But on the issue of storing the car, i don't know where all these problems come from e85 sitting. It isn't bad at all, no eating away at stuff or the like. Our dragsters that run off of methanol (which is worse than e85) and we let them sit during the off season. The only thing you should really do, is start it up every once in a while and all will be fine.

The worst you have to worry about is absorbing water. But that isn't horrible since (obviously) the gas tank will be off the ground. For example, our drum of methanol sits in the trailer for a minimum month or two, no problems what so ever. But it sat in the garage for OVER a year it went bad.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Not related to your question and I don't know shit about e85 but I'm curious why your inclined to turn down the boost??? Why not run the tune you got air is free right?

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
E85 Allows For More Timing Advance So You Can Run Less Boost, More Fuel And Make More power

·
Registered
731 Posts
I know that but is the engine less efficient with more boost does that make sense??? I'm saying why turn down the boost.... When pump gas is working for him....

·
Registered
393 Posts
He wants to make the same power but he wants the power level at a lower psi with more room to grow later on since hes probably about to max out what he or his tuner feels safe with doing on premium

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
He wants to make the same power but he wants the power level at a lower psi with more room to grow later on since hes probably about to max out what he or his tuner feels safe with doing on premium
Or He I At The Boost Limit Of The Turbo

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
E85 Allows For More Timing Advance So You Can Run Less Boost, More Fuel And Make More power
Bingo... I would just feel better on less boost and being its E85 Ill make more power... in this case less pressure is more power than where im sitting at the moment... I am mainly looking for insight on your experiences with E85 and what works and what doesn't?(storage and such)

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
e85 is hygroscopic, this is why people say not to store it. If your store it well sealed your good or use something to displace the water like WD40. No need to tune the car over and over again. Tune it once for both fuel types and use a 2 timer chip(or store your tunes). Test the fuel at every fill up and load the tune needed. There are senors you can put inline that will tell you what fuel is running but IDK if any "Honda" based software can use it yet.

Depending where you live you might find e98 and can make e85 from it(or run straight e98).

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Neptune RTP can via Sensor adjustments.

If you are at Best Timing on Pump Fuel, E85 won't net you more power, as Dan Pointed out, sometimes max power is not with the most timing.

You only need the E85 is the cylinder pressures exceed what pump gas supports. (You need more boost, or can't run enough timing for peak power)

E85 has a lower energy density and you must use more volume to make the same power, which cools the charge.

Seems simple.

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Why not just tune it on the winter blend. That way you need not worry when summer blend comes around. Or just get a flex fuel sensor.
The tunes are one thing, my big concern was storing the car with E85 in it. I don't want any issues, but it just seems like a pain to drain the E85... put pump gas in every year.

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Neptune RTP can via Sensor adjustments.

If you are at Best Timing on Pump Fuel, E85 won't net you more power, as Dan Pointed out, sometimes max power is not with the most timing.

You only need the E85 is the cylinder pressures exceed what pump gas supports. (You need more boost, or can't run enough timing for peak power)

E85 has a lower energy density and you must use more volume to make the same power, which cools the charge.

Seems simple.
I guess we will see how it turns out, I will have to post results of both mixes and see where I stand. My tuner told me that pump gas is pretty limited where im standing now, so its time to upgrade fuels if I want to keep going.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
few years ago I had let my del sol sit for about 3-4 months with e85 in the tank, thing fired right up after getting a motor put back in it. Im sure letting it sit over a few months isnt gonna hurt anything.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I let my car sit for like 7 months on a tank of e85 without issues. I didn't do anything special to store it. Nothing corroded or anything crazy like that. I've been on ethanol for maybe 5 years

·
Classic Man
16,355 Posts
Alcohol fuels can absorb water from the atmosphere, which is why most people suggest you dont store it.

You can put additives in there which blend water with the fuel, and its a non issue. think of it as simple water meth injection. Haha.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I let my car sit for like 7 months on a tank of e85 without issues. I didn't do anything special to store it. Nothing corroded or anything crazy like that. I've been on ethanol for maybe 5 years
same thing for me, car is in garage all winter. no negative effects as far
as i can see. must admit that i never got my injectors flow tested, but whenever
the fuel system comes apart there are no signs of corrosion or whatsoever.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Get a 5 gal fuel container, run car till reserve light comes on, pour in 5 gallons of pump, let car idle a few minutes then store car for winter

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
It's still best to not store it, but with the right additives you can get an extra 6-12 months on it. If you do store it with e85, make sure it's filled to the brim. The less air that's in there the better. One thing that can happen regardless with the "black death" that people find clogging the tips of their injectors. Even worse is when the ethanol located in the injector bodies absorbs enough water to phase-separate, leading to oxygenated water jelly that can rust the injectors solid in a few days. A good fuel stabilizer is ALWAYS a good idea if your fuel will be sitting for >30 days, regardless of the engine or fuel type.

As far as a universal tune, there are pros & cons to basing it off e70 and e85. If you base it off e70 the timing will be okay for e85 but it will be a bit lean. If you tune it with e85 then run e70, the timing will be a bit too high but it will run a bit rich. Now we're only talking about 2-3 degrees max, so anything but a bleeding-edge timing map will be forgiving enough. The AFR difference between the two will be less than one full point, so again only a bleeding-edge tune wouldn't have enough cushion in it.

FYI if you hook a tube to the FPR outlet, run it to a fuel can, then enable to fuel pump, it will pump it all out in a few minutes. You can disable the starter and keep the key in "start" mode, or use your EMS to keep the pump running ("drain tank" option in eCtune for example).

·
Registered
419 Posts
FYI if you hook a tube to the FPR outlet, run it to a fuel can, then enable to fuel pump, it will pump it all out in a few minutes. You can disable the starter and keep the key in "start" mode, or use your EMS to keep the pump running ("drain tank" option in eCtune for example).
+1. Forgot to add that bit. We usually just plumb the fuel return into a can and let the car run till it runs out of fuel

1 - 20 of 33 Posts