Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am still in the dilemma about converting over from pump gas to E-85. I live in MN, so there are a plenty of E-85 pumps to be had. My question is how do you guys like using it? I am running a 300whp boosted Y8 setup and I was thinking about getting rid of the 560cc dsm injectors and going 1000cc(E-85). What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, if you plan to increase the power output any time soon I would definitely recommend it.
well of course, I have a new crower stage 2 cam, valvetrain, intake mani, ITR tb and a few other small things I need to re-tune for as well.... I figured I minus well go E-85 when I do the retune... I might be able to retune on less boost with E-85 and make my power goals(350).... I just wanted to see everyones experience with it... pros/cons....

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Its 110(ish) race gas for about half the price.

·
Registered
98 Civic CX-T on E85
1,797 Posts
its 105 octane. and its absolutely worth it IMO. I made almost 50whp going from 91 to E85.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Paul, you're gonna need at least 1000cc. I have the FIC 1100cc and im almost maxed out at 450whp on a single walbro. E85 price may go up in the spring, its almost catching up to 87-92oct price.

·
Registered
ej2
1,388 Posts
depending where your at there on there winter blend which contains more gasoline, making it a bit more expensive. Once summer comes it usually drops back to being 20-40 cents cheaper. (around here anyway)

·
Registered
My civic
2,340 Posts
Almost...

From e85 wikipedia

E85 has an octane rating higher than that of regular gasoline's typical rating of 87, or premium gasoline's 91-93. This allows it to be used in higher-compression engines, which tend to produce more power per unit of displacement than their gasoline counterparts. The Renewable Fuels Foundation states in its Changes in Gasoline IV manual, "There is no requirement to post octane on an E85 dispenser. If a retailer chooses to post octane, they should be aware that the often cited 105 octane is incorrect. This number was derived by using ethanol’s blending octane value in gasoline. This is not the proper way to calculate the octane of E85. Ethanol’s true octane value should be used to calculate E85’s octane value. This results in an octane range of 94-96 (R+M)/2. These calculations have been confirmed by actual-octane engine tests." [7]

Examples of this mis-citation can be found at the Iowa Renewable Fuels Association titled "E85 Facts"[8] which cites a range of 100-105, and a document at the Texas State Energy Conservation Office titled "Ethanol"[9], which cites a 113 rating.

·
Registered
371 Posts
ive been on the edge of switching but im on a stock bottom end so i really dont think ill be able to take advantage of it yet since 93 is enough for me to shoot the rods out.. anybody have problems with there stock fuel filters, i hear thats the one thing thats good to change

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
On my 399whp tune the 1000cc Precisions I had were at a 89% duty cycle at 7k rpm with an 58 psi fuel pressure.

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oh damn I thought the 950's would support my goals.... my goal was around 350whp... im afraid I will go over this now lol..... shit Im gonna hafta find something else here.... Thanks guys! Ill def plan on converting over this year! Ill post numbers when im there! :)

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Paul, you're gonna need at least 1000cc. I have the FIC 1100cc and im almost maxed out at 450whp on a single walbro. E85 price may go up in the spring, its almost catching up to 87-92oct price.
could go with an inline walbro as well, up the pressure a little, and i betcha u could go a little further with the 1100's

but i agree, id go a bit bigger...

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My goals are very realistic.... I think for 350whp..... 1050cc from FIC should work for me just fine..... and leave me a little but of wiggle room.... anyone else run E-85?

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
My goals are very realistic.... I think for 350whp..... 1050cc from FIC should work for me just fine..... and leave me a little but of wiggle room.... anyone else run E-85?
Yes, you will be fine with the above listed setup with a single in-tank Walbro 255.

·
Registered
4dr eg
273 Posts
ive been on the edge of switching but im on a stock bottom end so i really dont think ill be able to take advantage of it yet since 93 is enough for me to shoot the rods out.. anybody have problems with there stock fuel filters, i hear thats the one thing thats good to change
I would do it anway. There are a few running it out here on stocker saying its keeping the down the deto.

To the OP I would use it. BUT I will point out, I had ran out of gas and had a choice of crap gas or 100, and put in the 100. Too bad for me, cause my tune was not for 100.

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
is there a better time of year to buy E-85? Dont they have a winter blend... E70? Or something like that? When does that switch over to reg E85?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts