Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1999 civic Hatchback
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys, finally i went last night to the dyno to "re tune" the hatch.. Last time i went we just had to do baseline runs due to the turbo blowing in the dyno...

The baseline run last time was of 235whp and 196lb/ft at 15 PSI

This time we upped the boost to 17 PSI and tuned there.

Results where---> 266whp and 240lb/ft (3rd gear) 4th gear pulls netted 253whp and 234.9 lb/ft

This time vs last base run we gained 50whp more in the midrange in some spots so think that pretty good. I think it made great power for just a SOHC non Vtec with a 100% stock head.

For some reason we upped the boost to 20 PSI but it didnt increase the horsepower. Does this means that the turbo efficiency is maxed out?Im guessing there are some factors as to why it didnt bumped the HP..the turbo should be good for at least 300whp

The A/F stayed at WOT between 11.1 and 11.4 so its pretty safe.

I will post the Dynosheet later when i scan it as well as more details

BTW the setup for those who dont remember is:
D16Y7 motor
Z6 IM
Vitara Pistons on Eagle Rods
DSM 450
Walbro 255 fuel pump
LoveFab Minime
T3 super 60 turbo
Turbonetics Racegate
3" DP and Exhaust
2.5" charge pipes
RFL BOV

All comments questions welcome.

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
3,189 Posts
nice numbers...

when you boosted up 20, you probably didn't gain any horsepower due to heat...*shrug*

A

·
0 Posts
thats nice...

how much boost you think i could push on a d15b with a thicker headgasket and ARP studs?

my greddy system is set to like 5.5 or 7 stock (i dunno which one it is), but i was thinking of increasing it.... short of changing rods and other mods....

·
Registered
441 Posts
nice number man...once again, you give me a little hope

·
Registered
1999 civic Hatchback
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is the Dyno sheet

Blue line = Baseline run from 2 weeks ago
Red line = Final tune

Max torque on Blue line is-->196lb/ft
Max Torque on Red line is --->240.11 lb/ft

as you can see..after 6600rpms the power starts to go downhill

·
the hard-parker
4,257 Posts
problem could be air flow through the head, or perhaps you might look into getting a better cam. anyways, nice numbers, glad to see your dyno day went well

·
Neighborhood Asshole is Back!
02 BMW; 00 Civic EX
1,892 Posts
sweet numbers... i cant wait to boost!!

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
sweet numbers...i hope mine are around there...when you figure out why youre not getting a jump with 20lbs, please let me know...im setup for 20lbs so just in case i run into same problems

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
Damn good #'s!!!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Can you Please tell me more about your setup?? Mainly Motor Components... Like crank, rods, Pistions,.. Is it bored out? Because I'm looking to get boosted here soon.. and I wanna run around 6-8 PSI.. My engine Is COMPLETELY Stock with 150,000 KM's on it.. so.. I'm just wondering If I'm Making a Mistake...

·
Registered
780 Posts
nice numbers man- i wish i had the money to dyno mine... lol

·
Curious George
'99 LX Civic Sedan
3,569 Posts
Really nice number !! I don't think it's your turbo, I ever see honda accord turbo with 400whp with T3.

It starts to drop maybe about some things like, exhaust flow (manifold downpipe,exhaust), intake flow, port size, valve size. A bigger lift with little bit more duration cam should help, it's stock power curve of y7 that you've got there with downhill at 6600rpm...

·
Premium Member
95 CX Hatch
5,910 Posts
Power loss in upper revs...non VTEC head and the stock Z6 intake yo! Not bad on those ol Vitaras though.

M

·
0 Posts
IM going to be going with pretty much the same set-up as you, except a 2.5 exhaust, and some uberdata/ LM-1.

Wondering how much power a super 6 can handle tho... thats the exact same turbo i am using, and i was hearing it should be good for 250....I hope not, i was really thinking 300's would be possible...

·
Registered
1999 civic Hatchback
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Belette said:
Really nice number !! I don't think it's your turbo, I ever see honda accord turbo with 400whp with T3.

It starts to drop maybe about some things like, exhaust flow (manifold downpipe,exhaust), intake flow, port size, valve size. A bigger lift with little bit more duration cam should help, it's stock power curve of y7 that you've got there with downhill at 6600rpm...
Well i found out this morning that 3 bolts on the manifold where loose to the point that i could turn them with my finger. So i think that on the 6-7 final runs it was leaking boost and maybe thats the reason it didnt made more power when we upped the boost. I am tempted on tightening them and go to make 2 more pulls to see if the hp bumps 5-6 ponies more.

I have to check my charge pipes as well..i blew one on one of the runs

The Most of the power was made by advancing the cam..There was a point where the car stopped making power at around 230ish and by advancing the cam timing 2 degrees it bumped almost 30 hp...as you can see on the graph there are points in the midrange where there are 50whp more than the baseline run..the torque bumped up alot as well by advancing the cam timing.

Now we have to do a lil of street tuning for the Partial throttle and work the power down low.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts