Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone.

This motor has been a work in progress for the last couple of years. Last year I had the bottom end built with a stock head and level 2 Bisi camshaft. It made 130whp on 94 octane and was tuned using Crome.

You can see the last build here and here.

This year I had a z6 head built and built a short-geared transmission. It made 156whp (155.6) and 115wtrq on 94 octane following a tuning session on a Mustang Dyno. This time it was tuned using Neptune. We ran it up to 8000rpm and it stopped making power at around 7500rpm if I can remember correctly. The tuner did an amazing job, considering his system was showing that the thermostat wasn't working properly. He was able to work around it and still get some fantastic numbers.

Undoubtedly the work on the head and the Rocket Motorsports camshaft and valve-train made the biggest difference in creating the power. Together they freed up almost 26whp over last year's build. The high compression pistons, the free-flowing head and camshaft worked beautifully together and the tuning helped to show what they can do.

I'm really happy with the results. But there are a few more horses lurking in there. Due to time limitations that I had (not the tuner) we never got to dial-in the cam-gear. I think I'll be setting up another session to see if we can get a little more power.

Here's the video of the final pull:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Gu-JuThldc

When you're standing next to the engine like I was, the VTEC cross-over is intense. The audio in the video doesn't nearly do it justice.

I'll also be posting up the chart once I get it. (SEE BELOW FOR DYNO CHART)

Here are the engine details:

Exhaust:
- Megan Racing 4-2-1 header
- Magnaflow high-flow catalytic converter
- Tanabe Medalion 2.25" exhaust

d16z6 block:
- resurfaced 0.004", rebuilt: Top Line gasket kit
- bored to 75.5mm
- P29 pistons (Nippon Racing) - 75.5mm
- NPR piston rings
- ACL race bearings
- ARP rod bolts
- crank journals resurfaced
- Innovative Mounts AT-MT passenger side mount 60A (red) Polyurethane
- Innovative Mounts rear side mount 75A (black) Polyurethane
- Innovative Mounts driver's side mount 75A (black) Polyurethane
- 11.4lbs Competition Clutch flywheel
- miscellaneous parts (i.e. water pump, belts, etc) all Honda OEM

d16z6 head:
- ported and polished
- resurfaced 0.004" (IIRC)
- Rocket Motorsports stage 4 camshaft (re-grind of stock d16z6)
- Rocket Motorsports valve springs
- Rocket Motorsports titanium spring retainers
- AEM Tru-Time camshaft gear
- ARP head studs
- Cometic 75.5mm head gasket
- Denso spark plugs gapped and supplied by Rocket Motorsports
- d16y8 intake manifold - ported to 60mm and polished inlet and runner outlets ported to match head intake ports
- OBX plastic intake manifold gasket cut to match head intake ports
- 56mm d16z6 throttle body with KMS FITV block-off plate
- generic short-ram intake
- generic cotton air filter

Miscellaneous:
- Mishimoto aluminum radiator
- B&M fuel pressure regulator
- B&M fuel pressure gauge
- chipped P06 tuned on Neptune
- Walbro 255lph fuel pump

I have to give credit to the following people who helped to make this engine a reality. I do the research but my technical skills and time are limited. These guys make it happen. Of course I have to thank d-series.org and everyone on here that has been extremely informative and helpful.

- My good friend Adrian for helping me pull the motor and transmission last year and reinstalling them both
- Paul at Rainbow Engines in Markham, Ontario for building the bottom end last year
- Robert at Rocket Motorsports for the re-grind stage 4 camshaft, valve springs and titanium retainers
- My good friend Davis for assembling the parts onto the motor together last year
- My good friend Thomas for removing and reinstalling EVERYTHING together this year (engine, head, transmission, etc.)
- Graeme at Canadian Cylinder Heads in Toronto, Ontario
- Nick at tuningbynick.com in Toronto, Ontario

Reactions: Whoshot

·
Registered
152 Posts
very nice numbers.

my d16a6 makes 160whp 126wtq (158.8 125.7 to be exact)

there is a few differences and many parts we have in common.

non vtec vs vtec both ported heads
my 11:1 comp vs your 12:5:1
i run 1mm over bigger valves vs your factory valves (although i think they are the same size being that mine are 1mm over)
i run a stock z6 mani and tb vs your ported y8 and bored tb
we run the same ebay 421 header
my 2.5 exhaust vs your 2 1/4
i run a custom tapered intake with vstack vs your generic short ram intake.

id like to see your graph to compare. if you can please post it up.
my motor peaks at 7k due to the z6 mani, yours at 7500 due to your ported y8.
i make a few more hp and more torque.

very nice set up ! must be a fun car. i recetly installed a l3 trans with 1-4 zc gears si 5th 4.7 ats final and m-factory lsd. that by far was the biggest improvement on the car.

i plan on running a ported edelbrock in the near future, i believe i can pick up 10whp easy and bump my peak power up at least 500rpm.

nice to see a similar set up make similiar numbers. i only wonder why tq differs by about 10, curious if its just a diff do to diff dynos or combination of parts.

in either case congrats on hitting some solid numbers, its not easy to do with these old motors.

again please post a pic of graph and a engine bay shot.

cheers.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
very nice numbers.

my d16a6 makes 160whp 126wtq (158.8 125.7 to be exact)

there is a few differences and many parts we have in common.

non vtec vs vtec both ported heads
my 11:1 comp vs your 12:5:1
i run 1mm over bigger valves vs your factory valves (although i think they are the same size being that mine are 1mm over)
i run a stock z6 mani and tb vs your ported y8 and bored tb
we run the same ebay 421 header
my 2.5 exhaust vs your 2 1/4
i run a custom tapered intake with vstack vs your generic short ram intake.

id like to see your graph to compare. if you can please post it up.
my motor peaks at 7k due to the z6 mani, yours at 7500 due to your ported y8.
i make a few more hp and more torque.

very nice set up ! must be a fun car. i recetly installed a l3 trans with 1-4 zc gears si 5th 4.7 ats final and m-factory lsd. that by far was the biggest improvement on the car.

i plan on running a ported edelbrock in the near future, i believe i can pick up 10whp easy and bump my peak power up at least 500rpm.

nice to see a similar set up make similiar numbers. i only wonder why tq differs by about 10, curious if its just a diff do to diff dynos or combination of parts.

in either case congrats on hitting some solid numbers, its not easy to do with these old motors.

again please post a pic of graph and a engine bay shot.

cheers.
Hey Stratton.

Thanks for the congrats! I'm using the stock 56mm d16z6 throttle body. I have a b18b 60mm kicking around but I never tried installing it. I also recall reading (many years ago) that having that small step - the 4mm difference - actually helps the air flow. I'll let the physics guys explain that one...

Now that it's been tuned I plan on taking it to the track (proper race track, not this straight line business...) I think the combination of this built NA z6 and the modified transmission will make for an even more exciting car.

Next year: roll cage :shock:

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,665 Posts
Caging a Sol, hope you don't mind losing the back window.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Caging a Sol, hope you don't mind losing the back window.
How so? Unless I'm mistaken, I've seen quite a few (albeit online) that have been caged.

Time to research, research, research...

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Here's a pic of the PDF of the chart. I hope it's clear enough. I'll try to get a better version if this is hard to see. It says 155whp. I rounded up from 155.6whp that was on the screen to 156. I gave the motor that extra 0.4whp :)

·
Registered
152 Posts
ty.

looking foward to when you start moving that cam around !

i checked out your build thread, nice looking del sol !

stratton.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ty.

looking foward to when you start moving that cam around !

i checked out your build thread, nice looking del sol !

stratton.
Thanks!

I'll be taking it to track on July 31st. I'll be able to see what this motor can do with the short-geared transmission I've had built.

Expect to see a video of it!

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,665 Posts
That cam needs advanced and curves refined to get out the dips.

On another forum "that shall not be mentioned" this picture popped up today, I asked about the cage. Was running Enduro Bracket, so a "serious" track car.....GSR Sol

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Awesome numbers and work done, this is an inspiration to others (myself included)!.
Thanks N1ck!

This website has been my source of inspiration for every project I've worked on. I'm glad that this project can be one for you.

Cheers and good luck!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts