Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
O

·
0 Posts
tuning, stock cams and timming, porting, could be several reasons it drops off.

·
Registered
636 Posts
but the curve looks lige its on drugs ( heart beat style) !?!? looks like it needs some tuning done !!..

O

·
0 Posts
the ignition coudl be part of your issue. you also need to make sure your plug gapping is set proeprly along with plug types.

you shoudl be atleast running an external coil if nothing else.

F

·
0 Posts
why ? would an external coil do ? those REd MSD things , right ? I heard those really dont help do much .. but since you said something about it , you must know about them , maybe ?

·
Premium Member
Civic turbo Hx/Ex
18,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have nothing, I used to have coil by nology but the fucking thing blew on me. I am going to get MSD in the near future.

The reason a MSD ignition or coil will help is you need something to up the spark after all the extra boost and fuel you are adding to the cylinders. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction (Einstein)

O

·
0 Posts
reason is you need a stronger spart on a performance motor. the stock coil can't do the job well. You could have issues with getting the oproper amount of spart into the cylinder thus causing the very unsteady results your showing. you can sue the Red or what ever, I use the Crane fireball-2 ciol. but soon will have to go to a MSD once my project is complete.

·
Registered
636 Posts
honda ign is one of the best !! some of the fastes 1/4 mile 11000 RPM hondas run stock ign

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Don't know about FI setups, but my 6th gen still got 35 mpg when we found that the idiota who previously owned it never changed the plugs. They burned off waaaaaay past 0.100", it was the largest gap I had ever seen in my life. Definitely stronger than your average ignition system, IMO.

B

·
0 Posts
people make 400+ whp all the time on stock honda ignitions. I don't buy the msd crap for lower powered street setups. waste of money and it makes your motor look like some kind of camaro esque type R red power super pumper BS.

M

·
0 Posts
What is your setup? Not bad numbers at all..once it's tuned and the bugs are worked out, you'll bet set.

·
Premium Member
Civic turbo Hx/Ex
18,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I actually think my timing belt is off a tooth. I have been looking into this for a while now and come to the conclusion when I just bought an expensive timing light! I am going to try and work on it this weekend so I will keep you all posted. Are you sure bailhatch about the 400whp thing?

O

·
0 Posts
zeus zore said:
honda ign is one of the best !! some of the fastes 1/4 mile 11000 RPM hondas run stock ign
youir thinking NA app and on a full race.

FYI, I have yet to see a 11k rpm car NOT running and aftermarket ignition. Show me one if you know of any.

The stocker is ok for lower boosting on the street. but I and MASNY others have found that after about 9-10psi you start having an issue with spark. The stock coil seems to not be able to deliver enough spart to keep the spark form blowing off the plug, and causing bucking, hesitation and more during full boosting above like 5k rpm. I and others had to regap the plugs to like .028 just to get the spark to work properly. Once I went to the crane I was able to move back to .032 and it work fine. the bigger gap burns moer fuel and thus makes more power. It's not an overly expensive setup. I'm not saying go otu and buy a $600 MSD, I'm saying go out and spend like $150 total. that would include a 92 accord cap and rotor (those had external coils and the caps fit the civic dist.) and then get a coil only, any like the crane i have or an msd or something. That will help you out a lot, and even steddy the ignition. Also you shoudl run better plug wires than the stockers. with the higher demand of the hotter coil and lower resistance needed the stockers don;t do as good a job as others.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts