Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Lifes short, drive fast!
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got the car tuned on tuesday. Extremely dissapointed, but also somewhat relieved.
When we first threw it on the dyno, car wouldnt make over 6psi of boost, just spuddered etc. Tuner grabbed the right plugs, gapped them to 25(cant remember how to post the right decimal...), and the car made 10pounds just fine.
So we were tuning the car for low boost ( i have a 2timer so I can run dual maps: low ajnd high boost), and the most hp we could manage was 166whp, which is NOT close to what it should be at 10psi on that turbo with my setup, it should be closer to 200whp on low boost! We threw timing at it, leanded it, richened it, took off the turbo filter... EVERYTHING!
There were 3xx miles on the motor at this point, with a fresh tank of 92 octane it it. The car ran GREAT! Pulled smooth, idled perfect, even made a smooth graph. Stumped, we tried throwing more boost at it. We pushed it to 16.5psi, which mahe just UNDER 200whp... I should be well over 250whp at this point. We decided not to push it any farther as something is just NOT right.
The graph

As you can see it also dips at vtec, we messed with that aswell and could only make the dip less evident...

Now here are some things im thinking about, PLEASE give any sudgestions you may have, aswell as shoot me any questions, I can probably answer most of them. For those of you that dont know my setup, hit up my car domain or build thread in my sig.

-I didnt put on any part of my tbelt cover, so he couldnt zero the timing, im planning on just pulling a plugs, stickin a screw drivir in there, finding tdc and making a mark myself.
-Exhaust goes from 3"dp to 2.5" with 2 resonator and a muffler, questing if it could be clogged etc
-Valves arent adjusted perfect, little bit noisy
-Re-Check charge piping, make sure there isnt a rag somewhere...
-No noticeable exhaust leaks, boost leaks would be evident in psi readings...

It feels GREAT to finally be driving the car again, and it does have pep at 200whp, but as you know... it CAN NOT stop there.

Thankyou for any help, rep will be given.

·
Lifes short, drive fast!
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
god damnit ryan, i thought you paid attention to my build...

-Motor:
YCP Vitara 75.5mm pistons
Eagle H-Beam Rods
ACL Rod/Main Bearings
Timing Belt/Water Pump
.037" head gasket
Holley Fuel Regulator
ARP Headstuds
Gator Axles
SPEC Stage 3 Clutch
Balanced/Polished Crank
AVID Billet Motor Mounts
OEM Fresh Flywheel
Skunk2 Cam Gear
Precision 780cc Injectors
GM 3 bar amp censor
Block decked/bored .5mm over/notched/assembled
OEM Distributor
Skunk2 d.p. back 2.5" exhaust
Walbro 255

-Turbo Setup:
Bullseye T3/TO4E 50 trim w/ .55 a/r
GO-AUTOWORKS 3” Custom Downpipe
GO-AUTOWORKS Custom Dumptube
GO-AUTOWORKS Tuner Charge Pipe Kit
GO-AUTOWORKS 28x11x3 FMIC
Tuner Toys Stealth Return Line
Tial 50mm BOV
Tial 38mm Wastegate
Drag Style Cast Mani

I think thats all of it?

·
Hi hater!
12,548 Posts
Do you know if your tuner pushed it to MBT this is what happened to Jew they threw timing at it just not enough. He does realize that your compression is in the 7.xx:1 range and has he ever tuned a vitara motor. I would like to see you tune if you could just hit it to my email [email protected]. Something is not right here. You need that lower timing cover on as well Im surprised he would even tune it with out. Mine will cancel the appointment in a heart beat with out that.

·
Lifes short, drive fast!
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you know if your tuner pushed it to MBT this is what happened to Jew they threw timing at it just not enough. He does realize that your compression is in the 7.xx:1 range and has he ever tuned a vitara motor. I would like to see you tune if you could just hit it to my email [email protected]. Something is not right here. You need that lower timing cover on as well Im surprised he would even tune it with out. Mine will cancel the appointment in a heart beat with out that.
Alrite, let me go put it on my computer real quick, i think I remember him saying he went to 18 degrees on it?
He knew it was at 7: xx :1, but it was his first vitara motor. And about the timing cover, making a mark at tdc would be fine I think? Thats what he told me to do... haha
oh, and he gace me a SCREAMIN deal on the tune, he fealt bad and he really wanted to see me back there again when I figured somthin out, Ill pm you that too.

·
Hi hater!
12,548 Posts
Alrite, let me go put it on my computer real quick, i think I remember him saying he went to 18 degrees on it?
He knew it was at 7: xx :1, but it was his first vitara motor. And about the timing cover, making a mark at tdc would be fine I think? Thats what he told me to do... haha
oh, and he gace me a SCREAMIN deal on the tune, he fealt bad and he really wanted to see me back there again when I figured somthin out, Ill pm you that too.
Ok cool I will take a gander at it wish there was a way I could talk to you and dude maybe trya and figure something out for you. This thing should scream man and it really sounds like a timing issue.

·
Lifes short, drive fast!
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok cool I will take a gander at it wish there was a way I could talk to you and dude maybe trya and figure something out for you. This thing should scream man and it really sounds like a timing issue.
dude you can call me if you want to, lol... it would really be cool if you lived down the fuckin block! haha, just uploaded the map, sendin it to you in a sec

·
Lifes short, drive fast!
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
either way it still seems low. but run it open DP anyways to see if it makes a noticeable difference.

post your bin if you get a chance
how do i post the bin? ive got it ready and waiting on my computer.

and i agree, I know I can find gains in a 3" exhaust, but I wouldnt NEED to upgrade til over the 400whp or more... the 2.5 will make 350whp EASY, spool will just suffer a little bit...

·
Lifes short, drive fast!
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
exactly, I am 100whp down, and 100wtq down, from the same setup with .5 more psi... somthin is up!
What really confuses me is how smooth my dyno graph is for such low numbers? Something catastrophic is holding back power, but its holding it back consistently...
Ideas guys, I need IDEAS!

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
Any boost leaks?

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
seems like the w/g is leaking....when are your hitting full boost? looks like redline.....i had a similar problem but wouldnt go tpast 8psi due to the leak

1 - 20 of 64 Posts