Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car: 00 hatch mini-me swap y7/y8

i know i should had just did a quick search but yea i just bought a ex tranny not to long ago and i was just wondering how much the ex tranny differ from the dx tranny : speed/quarter mile time wise??

Thnxs

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
any 1/4 times on stock w/y7 tranny then switching to y8 tranny w/ 1/4 times again??

·
Registered
11 Posts
hey all I will say is when I did the swap from the y7 tranny to the y8 and a brand new clutch setup and lighter flywheel, I am a lot quicker off the line and my y7 non vtec revs a lot faster. I hope that helps.

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
^^ what about the difference in rpms at 60mph and 70mph.
ie. what rpm would you be at, at 60mph and 70mph on the ex vs the dx.

one of the reason I haven't done an si tranny swap is that i'm only at 3k at 70mph. better gas mileage and it'g gotta be better on the tranny.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
^^ what about the difference in rpms at 60mph and 70mph.
ie. what rpm would you be at, at 60mph and 70mph on the ex vs the dx.

one of the reason I haven't done an si tranny swap is that i'm only at 3k at 70mph. better gas mileage and it'g gotta be better on the tranny.
Yea, i'm a good 2 hours from home while i'm at school so only being at 3k doing 70mph is really nice...

·
Registered
97 EK
104 Posts
Well you really have to decide if you want to retain the optimum gas mileage or if you would rather accelerate a little quicker. You could always swap your fifth gear from the y7 tranny and put it into the y8, but I don't think you are looking for that kind of work.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I'm already turboed and pretty happy so i guess i'm more worried about just keep my car reliable at this point...

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
^curious, what your vacuum is at idle?
also at what rpm do you start to see boost/poitive pressure?

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
^curious, what your vacuum is at idle?
also at what rpm do you start to see boost/poitive pressure?
Sorry man, but my car isnt running right now...and hasent been for a little while...My ssauto shit took a dump on me...I cant remember what the vac was at idle off the top of my head...i'll def get back to you as my car should be startable next weekend so i can let you know the vac and possibly when boost kicks in

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have had a dx and ex, and the ex is only a few hundred rpm higher top end than a y7. When i cruise at 90, my dx was right at 4k. now with me ex its only right around 42-4300k. The biggest difference to me is the 2-3 gear change. the dx would bog a lil and then go, the ex just keeps going!

I would go with the ex, now that i have driven both. but the dx is not bad at all either..now CX is a different story WOW my car went to 90mph in second gear!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts