Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
93 maybe 94 coupe
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, so does the temp gauge never get above barely warm or something or did someone swap in a 160 degree t stat before i got it?

Its like in the operating range about 1/4 or 1/3 the way up, all my other cars sit in the middle w a stock temp tstat

Only reason i ask is ive seen 2 youtube videos w the temp gauge at the same place, and my fan kicks on at idle from time to time

·
Asshole
4,112 Posts
No its not normal noob. The gauge should be halfway or its not at operating temp period.

·
Asshole
4,112 Posts
Can't say I've had that experience. I've been in cars that were barely off the cold mark up to 1/3 on the gauge and not up to operating temp still running cold start enrichment. Mine cars personally have always been 1/2 on gauge.

·
Registered
93 maybe 94 coupe
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, i was just worried i was staying too cold and was leaving closed loop off the table

·
Registered
93 maybe 94 coupe
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh shit i better tell my buddy, he runs jdm h22 on usdm auto tranny d16 radiator, says it "almost never" goes past halfway. Thanks for the good info

·
Registered
Prelude, Integra DB9
403 Posts
It's a Honda ... half-ish is about right.

My experiences have been:-

Civic D16Z6 auto = gauge a needle-width below half
The same engine fitted to a DB9 Integra (manual) = same gauge reading
Civic coupe D16Y7 manual = gauge a needle-width above half
Prelude H22A5 = gauge almost exactly half (2 cars the same)
Accord H22A7 = gauge approx. half plus or minus a needle width (and only significantly higher when I blew the head gasket!)

·
Registered
93 maybe 94 coupe
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He says it ran at 50% before and after swap, i guess ill justswap in a stock temp fail open unit and see what it does

·
Registered
93 maybe 94 coupe
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nahhh because it moves in proportion to airflow and use and i can tell when the tstat opens. I can look up a test, and maybe clean up the connections today but idk.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
97 Acura CL F22B1 sits at just below Half
92 Civic Sedan D16Y8 motor swap sits 1/3 to half
12 Wifes Odyssey J35A7 rides same as Acura

I would question my sedan more then the other two, it should show warmer, but with all my wiring issues and other bullshyt I am surprised it worked at all.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,459 Posts
Stock temp gauge (92-95 esp) doesn't move from 150-210 degrees, same "deadspot" as the fuel level gauge at 3/4 tank.

This is proper gauge level....

[/IMG]

·
Registered
93 maybe 94 coupe
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thats dead nuts where mine sits, thanks for the pics and peace of mind

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,459 Posts
grill opening was 80% blocked off as well. When my old D15Beast7 was on a mileage run, I couldn't keep temps up where I wanted them, I had a separate water temp gauge to compare with.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,471 Posts
*not my car*

Im confused. if it sits like this, or just slightly off of parallel that means its running hotter than it should?

·
Asshole
4,112 Posts
That's the normal temp. They just printed the gauge face offset a bit so the needle ended up being straight.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,471 Posts
whew. makes me feel better, but now I still want to go check coolant levels

1 - 20 of 27 Posts