Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey im currently in the R&D process of designing a dual throttle body setup. It would use two honda TB's. Question is should i go with two smaller TB's to simplify tuning? also, what tuning problems would i encounter with so much more air?

D

·
0 Posts
?? Why 2 throttle bodies and how will you mount it to your intake manifold?

Go ITB or go B16 TB on your intake manifold. 2 TB's = 2 filters = 2 TPS's = 2 Throttle cables = CRAP, imho i dunno how you will fab this.. gimme a scetch

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Damn, Once Again Burned Down On This Damn Website, Are Yall Ever Positive? Do Yall Ever Say, Good Luck Man Hope Shit Goes Good Or Hey Wut The Hell Try It Out Tell Us How It Works.

·
Cool User Title Here
6,900 Posts
My apologies...

While I think its great you are trying to do something new, its been theorized and did not seem to be practical. Thats the only thing im asking, do you think its practical??

There is a lot of BS in the import world and a lot of people just trying to get respect by posting fictual information and try to make people think they are doing much more than they are. Not that this is what you are doing, but there is a lot of that around. I would love to see you build a dual tb setup (i don't even think its that hard to do), and make it work, and if you make more power, than you have made a great contribution to the sport compact world. However the oem manifolds are already designed to maximize flow to each cylinder (for the most part), and single throttle bodies can get TOO large as it is. Maybe dual tb's would work well with stage 4 or 5 portwork and cam's...but thats practically un-heard of with a d-series. In fact, I have never heard of that high of a setup yet.

·
Shackle me NOT!!!
1995 Honda Ballade
4,692 Posts
HondaTuner said:
Damn, Once Again Burned Down On This Damn Website, Are Yall Ever Positive? Do Yall Ever Say, Good Luck Man Hope Shit Goes Good Or Hey Wut The Hell Try It Out Tell Us How It Works.
someone in here once said.........don't point out a guys faults, but rather show him the way to it right.......

good luck..post pics if you decide to make a go of it......

·
I used to be Admin.....
763 Posts
If you are going to try it, the TB openings would have to be 30-35mm each. You can only combust so much air with 1.6L of displacement. If you think you have the technical skills to fab a custom intake manifold that will deliver the proper amount of air to each cylinder, then by all means go for it. If you want people to take you seriously, you better back up your claims with hard evidence. Drawings, better explainations, theories, schematics, etc... Its not like installing a header - what you are claiming is some serious custom work. I know of a handful of people who would have the skills to do this, and they have been machinists for 20 years.

We arent "burning you down" (I wouldnt call it that anyways), but more like saving you from attempting the virtually impossible. It would be like me saying, "Im gonna go build a house by myself in a week's time." Some ideas are good, and some ideas are bad. We are here to help you realize each.

·
ridin on rotas
1,980 Posts
I just don't see 2 throttle bodies being helpful on a inline 4 cylinder. if we were talking about a v engine then you could have a throttle body per side of the V. other wise I think that a single large throttle body into the Intake manifold is sufficient or for racing, the Intake Throttle Bodies setup would be nice. but to run 2 throttle bodies, that means running 1 throttle body per 2 cylinders. which means that it would have to be set up similar to the ITB set up. so that 2 runners go to 1 throttle body.

at this point, I think it would be better than the 1 throttle body into an intake manifold, but not as effecient or as powerful as the ITB setup.

please tell us your theory and we'll help you out where you could be correct or wrong.

·
D-series wise guy
2,858 Posts
Deck said:
If you are going to try it, the TB openings would have to be 30-35mm each. You can only combust so much air with 1.6L of displacement.
Actually 2 30-35mm throttle bodies is even less than the stock 56mm tb. I would think that he would be fine with 40-45mm throttle bodies. Also don't forget that just about every itb setup out there is between 38-44mm (for custom setups).

If you think you have the technical skills to fab a custom intake manifold that will deliver the proper amount of air to each cylinder, then by all means go for it.
Simple approach would be to take 2 stock manifolds, cut the tb mounting flange off one. Cut and opening on the other IM opposite of its TB and weld the hacked tb into place. Probably easiest to weld it in place upside down. Big decision here, is do you have 2 tb's feeding all four cylinders , or 1 tb for 2 cylinders(weld a divider plate inside the IM). Then, how do you pair them together? Do you pair 1&3, 2&4 to try to take advantage of pulses? Logistically speaking 1&2, 3&4 would be easier to do.

If you want people to take you seriously, you better back up your claims with hard evidence. Drawings, better explainations, theories, schematics, etc... Its not like installing a header - what you are claiming is some serious custom work. I know of a handful of people who would have the skills to do this, and they have been machinists for 20 years.
Now you are starting to sounds like all of those guys on honda-tech... This guy may have the welding skills to do this himself (or uncle, or friend, etc...). You never know...

We arent "burning you down" (I wouldnt call it that anyways), but more like saving you from attempting the virtually impossible. It would be like me saying, "Im gonna go build a house by myself in a week's time." Some ideas are good, and some ideas are bad. We are here to help you realize each.
No one has yet to prove why this is a bad idea. Yes, there are issues to solve, but those issues are along the same lines as what you face with an ITB project.

So either provide positive input or explain exactly why it isn't a good idea (which IMO is still positive input because we will have all learned somethin) and keep in mind that there are quite a few people out there running 4 throttle bodies and quite a few running dual carbs.

·
I used to be Admin.....
763 Posts
kommon_sense said:
Actually 2 30-35mm throttle bodies is even less than the stock 56mm tb. I would think that he would be fine with 40-45mm throttle bodies. Also don't forget that just about every itb setup out there is between 38-44mm (for custom setups).

Simple approach would be to take 2 stock manifolds, cut the tb mounting flange off one. Cut and opening on the other IM opposite of its TB and weld the hacked tb into place. Probably easiest to weld it in place upside down. Big decision here, is do you have 2 tb's feeding all four cylinders , or 1 tb for 2 cylinders(weld a divider plate inside the IM). Then, how do you pair them together? Do you pair 1&3, 2&4 to try to take advantage of pulses? Logistically speaking 1&2, 3&4 would be easier to do.

Now you are starting to sounds like all of those guys on honda-tech... This guy may have the welding skills to do this himself (or uncle, or friend, etc...). You never know...

No one has yet to prove why this is a bad idea. Yes, there are issues to solve, but those issues are along the same lines as what you face with an ITB project.

So either provide positive input or explain exactly why it isn't a good idea (which IMO is still positive input because we will have all learned somethin) and keep in mind that there are quite a few people out there running 4 throttle bodies and quite a few running dual carbs.
Thank you, captain save-a-hoe, for your input.

·
Registered
936 Posts
don't listen to this guy. seems like his posts are kinda negative. i say do what you must and post some pictures when you're done. hit the dyno and show us what dual tb is all about....when tuned right. i personally think that if you can think/decifer the correct mm for the tb that it'll be sick. almost like itbs

·
Banned
3,428 Posts
yeah good luck..

·
Shackle me NOT!!!
1995 Honda Ballade
4,692 Posts
SCCRules said:
It would def. be original. I don't think I've ever seen dual TB's.
well.............I found an old pic of mine..........I had twin carbs on my honda to start off with.......I have the manifold lying around somewhere, that I can take some pics off if you want.........bear in mind my stock D15b non VTEC made 69kw on the wheels....here's a pic. Nothing is impossible.

D

·
0 Posts
HondaTuner said:
Ill keep yall informed, probably gonna go size and pick up some TB's this weekend
Good luck & post loads of pics of the build proces so all the haters can steal your idea later :werd:

C

·
0 Posts
homemadeturbo.com has a write up in homemade individual throttle bodies which I think is amazing. I was wondering if you are gonna put 2 for all 4 cylinders or have 0ne throttle body feed 2 cylinders. Also idling could be an issue. You could also try not having them open in sink but using the other throttle body like a secondary like in 4bbls or preludes and gs-r's. I used to have an old lude with a set of big cams with the secondary runners and with the cams the runners made a big differnce when they were disconected and open all the time. I modified the diaphram that actuated them to stay closed under less vacuum and hooked it into the manifold rather then the vacume line that activated it and it made a big difference in throttle response. It would open at about half throttle. Not that its the same as 2 throttle bodies but its something to consider

1 - 20 of 23 Posts