Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building a boosted d15b this summer and I have a question about the dual stage boost controller. If i wanted to run different boost levels at different times, would i also need to run different fuel and ign. maps for both of those settings? I think i've seen a device that will switch b/t two maps with the flip of switch. Anyone have experience or opinions?

·
insert user title here
domestic.
3,014 Posts
i have a turbo xs duel stage boost controller. it has a rocker style switch right in front of my shifter for easy access. 7 psi low boost, 20 high boost.
all you have to do is tune your ride for the higher boost setting. you should be automatically golden for the low boost setting, no need for a differant map. the wastegate just opens ealier.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Damn, I was thinking about going 8 on low and then like 12-15 on high, haha. But yea, I'll tune for the higher setting. I like the way they set it up as well with a rocker switch. I think I am going to hide the switch though....just in case some friends borrow the car and want to crank up the boost.

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
im planning on running mine just like drunkin master has his, except or the huge switch, im going to run push button.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,251 Posts
tuned correctly, the ECU will see the different amounts of boost and adjust fuel/timing however you've set it.

I know it sounds gay, but you can use the horn button to trigger high boost settings.

Or like the AEM salt flat car, everytime you hit the button on the steering wheel, boost cut went up 7 psi.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I think I'd rather keep it limited to the switch. It's also nice b/c you don't have to route a vaccum line into the cabin.

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
it depends what you want your boost controller to do.

do you just want 2 boost settings that you can switch between the 2? or do you want it full adjustable inside the cabin?

if you want it adjustable inside the cabin with separate settings, its going to be expensive.

if you want just 2 different settings, you can get a pneumatic 3 way valve from Grainger, and a simple mbc hooked to one port on the valve. then you just use a toggle switch to change between the stock WG boost and the MBC controlled boost. shouldnt cost more than $50

·
Registered
93 Civic EX
746 Posts
it depends what you want your boost controller to do.

do you just want 2 boost settings that you can switch between the 2? or do you want it full adjustable inside the cabin?

if you want it adjustable inside the cabin with separate settings, its going to be expensive.

if you want just 2 different settings, you can get a pneumatic 3 way valve from Grainger, and a simple mbc hooked to one port on the valve. then you just use a toggle switch to change between the stock WG boost and the MBC controlled boost. shouldnt cost more than $50

Do you have any more info on this 3 way valve. I pretty interested since I got a Hallman MBC right now.. don't really want to spend 300 on a greddy, etc.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't think the full adjustibility would be an issue, I means as long as i tune for the higher boost level then the ecu should adjust on it's own when im in the lower boost setting...the "cheap" one you described is pretty much the same thing as the turbo xs unit, right?

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
Do you have any more info on this 3 way valve. I pretty interested since I got a Hallman MBC right now.. don't really want to spend 300 on a greddy, etc.
use this:
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/itemDetailsRender.shtml?ItemId=1612667260
put barbed fittings in each hole. one going directly to open atmosphere for the top port of the WG, and the other going through an mbc.

then follow this
http://www.homemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php?topic=73405.0
put the valve in line with the mbc. its 12v operated, so all you do is flip a switch and it will either turn on or off the mbc, giving you 2 boost settings.

OR you could just run the "OUT" side to the bottom port of the WG, and then one of the "IN" to the IM, and the other through an MBC that is also connected to the IM. should work either way pretty flawlessly

·
Registered
93 Civic EX
746 Posts
bit confused on the 2nd link, Is it suppose to give instructions on the valve?

I already have the MBC lined up.. so basically just put the valve inbetween and set up wiring to activate the switch.. sweeet :)

I was initially going to just unplugg my mbc and plug the line up on the mbc to the wastegate and then switch to the mbc just plug it back in.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts