Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
91 Civic sedan
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would installing a larger throttle body on my dual point injection system give me more power? I've been looking at upgrading to Multi-point injection but it looks like a lot of work that I'm not sure I could do right, at least probably not the first time. I'm still wet behind the ears with tuning knowledge. Thanks

·
Registered
94 civic, 90 talon
1,943 Posts
Would installing a larger throttle body on my dual point injection system give me more power? I've been looking at upgrading to Multi-point injection but it looks like a lot of work that I'm not sure I could do right, at least probably not the first time. I'm still wet behind the ears with tuning knowledge. Thanks
No, not with out supporting mods, but that is pretty much the same with multi. Just do the swap and you should feel a difference.

·
Registered
My 88 Hatch
94 Posts
do the mpfi swap its not that hard and i suck at electrical..... trust me you will find it fun gettin that hidden horsepower

·
Registered
239 Posts
if you dont want to do the conversion, just take the first butterfly valve out, and put a A6 or B2 cam in it. give you a few more ponies. I for one like dpfi for gas mileage ;)

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,798 Posts
DPFI motors are limited by injector sizing......

·
Registered
239 Posts
^yet you can still make a few ponies with them. by a few I MEAN A FEW lol nto 20 or 40 but like 5 or 6. I have never seen more than that haha

·
Registered
323 Posts
Youll never get any good hp gains outa that dpfi, youll just end up throwing your money away when you could get more gains from Mpfi swap. Its not as hard as it seems to do mpfi swap. You wont regret it when your done. My advise would be just gather all parts first, lable wires for placement and depin harnesses for cleaness. Hell you might aswell do obd1 conversion at the same time so you dont end up buying 2 different dizzy's and ecu's.

·
Premium Member
91 Civic sedan
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cool, Thanks everyone, I'm going to start gathering all my parts for the swap now, it seems like from what I've heard from everyone I've talked to that the swap will be one of the best upgrades I can do. A guy on here said he's got an intake and an ECU, anyone know where I can get some more or the rest of the parts I need?

·
Premium Member
91 Civic sedan
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Remove the first butterfly?

my a6 gets 45mpg lol
If I remove that butterfly is it going to hurt anything with fuel management or is it going to affect my idle? Maybe I will do that while I'm getting all the things together for my mpfi swap

·
Premium Member
91 Civic sedan
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What distributor do I need when I do the swap? one for the Si? I'm looking at aftermarket ones online and those are the only performance dizzies available, but they all say for the 1.6l and I have the 1.5l obviously.

·
Registered
525 Posts
What distributor do I need when I do the swap? one for the Si? I'm looking at aftermarket ones online and those are the only performance dizzies available, but they all say for the 1.6l and I have the 1.5l obviously.
Yes you need the Si distributor and the plug.

·
Registered
hover car
129 Posts
mpfi is the only way to go, you will find missing ponies, trust me ;]

·
Registered
1 Posts
DPFI tweek.

If I remove that butterfly is it going to hurt anything with fuel management or is it going to affect my idle? Maybe I will do that while I'm getting all the things together for my mpfi swap
Well no, The first valve in the DPFI is called the dash-pot valve.The purpose is to serves as a cushion for the throttle valve to prevent rapid deceleration. Also I remember reading somewhere that it helps with no2 emissions. But I personally am skeptical if it helps. It really just restricts air flow:dots:

But I would save up and do the MPFI swap.

But for now, If you want a little more umff out of the DPFI. Remove the dash pot valve, restriction plate and the mesh dome screen. Toss a cold air and or short ram intake. Maybe a valve adjustment if needed, and check your cap and rotor for corrosion. Ignition timing check and the end result you'll see maybe 5-10hp gain depending on your altitude, fuel grade and the mileage of your engine.
But you'll see a bit more response and a more tolerable pick up. You can have it all for about 20-40 min of work and a cotton air filter if you haven't already purchase one.
Till then happy modding and tweaking:)

·
Registered
BMW
165 Posts
i would just do the MPFI swap you will not regret it and it is not hard at all

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
you want better mpg AND power?

give your car a full tuneup and leave it alone

DPFI was a shitty design, and a healthy d16a6 with MPFI gets just as good MPG as a stock d15b2

think electric carb FAIL

·
Registered
NON
25 Posts
+1 on mpfi jus go get some a6 injectors a6 intake manifold and dizzy....feel difference to a cetain extent just dont be to gun-ho happy and be like bwahhh everywhere b2 rods are pencils made for daily and gas mileage....but if ur lazy take of dpfi cover take butterfly out itll feel a little quicker

1 - 20 of 20 Posts