Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I just finished boosting a R18 Civic. I do have a question about the ECT sensors on it.

It has TWO ECT sensors.
ECT1 sits next to the cylinder head.
ECT2 is mounted on the bottom of the radiator.

ECT2 always reads higher than ECT1. I'm not sure which sensor to read in the Haltech ECU. I tried going through the FSM, but wasn't able to find the exact function of each of these sensors. Does anyone know?

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Hey guys. I just finished boosting a R18 Civic. I do have a question about the ECT sensors on it.

It has TWO ECT sensors.
ECT1 sits next to the cylinder head.
ECT2 is mounted on the bottom of the radiator.

ECT2 always reads higher than ECT1. I'm not sure which sensor to read in the Haltech ECU. I tried going through the FSM, but wasn't able to find the exact function of each of these sensors. Does anyone know?
I would use ect1 that one would seem to tell more of what the motor doing.

Ect2 seems to just tell the rad temp for a fan switch more or less.

At lest thats how i see it

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
honda uses 3 in older cars. Dont be surprised.

1 was for ecu, 1 for gauge, and 1 for fan switching

·
Registered
del Sol si '94
2,539 Posts
A radiator or thermostat housing mounted switch is usually the fan switch. Cyl head or close to it, is usually for the ecu and sometimes for the gauge as well.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've double checked. Guessing ECT2 is at the radiator inlet and ECT1 is at the outlet. Hence the readings.

From everything I've gathered, ECT1 is used by the ECU to apply its corrections and stuff, which is what I've tapped right now. I will, however, wire ECT2 to a spare input on the Haltech so I can keep an eye on it as well.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
ECT2 is a redundant sensor to double check the cooling system, its part of OBD2/ULEV

1 - 8 of 8 Posts