Honda D Series Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Meat Popsicle
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I'm surprised I didn't see this thread. I used to have DSM injectors in my car. Last year at the track, on my second lap, I had my car start running like crap. AFR's were extremely rich. Throttle off was still showing 16.0 AFR's. I'm sure that is what happened to me. I had an extra set of injectors with me that day, I swapped out to the original injectors and it ran fine for the rest of the weekend.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm ordering some new IN600 injectors and a new FPR just to be on the safe side. Also getting another stock PM6 ECU just to have as backup in case the issue re-occurs and it turns out to be the ECU.

·
Meat Popsicle
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The more I read, the less I think the ECU is the problem. If I measure between the 2P injector plugs terminals, I see 11.85v. However, if I test continuity between the 2p “ground” wire against a body ground, I see around 300-400 ohms of resistance and the buzzer doesn’t sound.

I believe there is a tiny amount of current leakage through the injector transistor which allows me to read 11.85v but does not allow enough current to flow to open the injector or to read continuity between the injector ground and the chassis ground.

All four plugs test the same in regards to the resistance between the 2p “ground” connector and the chassis ground.

So, my gut says this was an injector problem. As I mentioned before, when I took the injectors out and used a 9v battery, injector #2 seemed to flow less when I blew through it and had a noticeable pitch change compared to the other three injectors which all seemed to flow the same.

I believe the #2 injector was temporarily stuck, possibly due to hitting the rev limiter fuel cut or perhaps just from high pulse rates on the dyno....who knows.

·
Meat Popsicle
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Ran the car many times with Injector Nation 600cc Bosch EV14s but the car leans out badly when under heavy electrical load or when the alternator is only generating 12.5v. Turboedit can’t account for the latency of these injectors.

Bought a new resistor box and plan on switching back to peak and hold injectors (probably RC 550cc)

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
thinking out in left field, but have you tried a bigger battery or a capacitor added in?

ebay check for 16v capacitor, there are a few from industrial applications for under $50 that provide much MUCH more capacitance than even a very expensive audio style capacitor.

I just wonder if it would help maintian higher voltage for a longer period of time

·
Meat Popsicle
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Not really interested in that route. I like to keep things OEM (to an extent) so that I can troubleshoot with the FSM.

I know that peak and hold injectors work (the DSM injectors worked fine before getting stuck) so I’ll just bite the bullet and buy the more expensive RCs

·
Meat Popsicle
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
Finally got some RC PL9-550s.

I knew saturated injectors were slower than peak and hold but I didn’t realize just how much slower they were. The P&H RCs are 3x less latent than the saturated Denso injectors. I makes sense that I had to add sooo much extra fuel when going from DSM 450s to Denso 600s.

I’ll be installing these tomorrow and start the process of street tuning to get the fuel maps back in order. Hopefully I can make it back out to the dyno in Feb/March and FINALLY make it out to an autox event

·
Meat Popsicle
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
RC Injector Nozzle/Tip

DSM 450cc blue top injector nozzle

If you zoom in on the pic, you’ll see that the RC injector has a baffle plate with 4 holes in a square pattern which is set further back into the injector

The DSM injector tip is a completely different design that looks like it would spray a wide cone.

Figured someone might find this interesting. Seems like the RC injector will have a narrower spray pattern and hopefully better atomization due to the baffle plate.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
3,955 Posts
"if you zoom"

dude, that picture is so large, if I zoom any further I could see the atomic structure of the injector

·
Meat Popsicle
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
"if you zoom"

dude, that picture is so large, if I zoom any further I could see the atomic structure of the injector
Haha! I just wanted to make sure everyone could see it!

Also, resizing the pictures is too much trouble so I let the forum do it for me.

I’m on a phone so I guess my perspective is a bit different

·
Tape-R taper/driver
574 Posts
The DSM likely has a similar spray pattern to the Honda metal body Keihens. It's a single cone with 4 semi-pronounced beams that come out in a square shape.

·
Meat Popsicle
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
The DSM likely has a similar spray pattern to the Honda metal body Keihens. It's a single cone with 4 semi-pronounced beams that come out in a square shape.
I agree; probably a similar pattern between OEM and the DSMs. Here’s a pic of the OEM injector for reference:

Same kind of design with the (pintle?) needle at the tip.

I don’t expect to see a performance difference but I like knowing that the RCs probably have a better spray pattern and better atomization due to the multi hole design.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
3,955 Posts
stop biting your nails

21 - 40 of 42 Posts