Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
a city truck
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yeah, like the title says, i dropped a socket in my tranny housing. (i had to pull the starter to break loose the crank pulley) do i have to pull the tranny to get it out? i've been trying to get it out with a magnet but thats not working. i just don't want to pull the tranny just yet but if i have to, i will. btw it's a 97 y7

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
i would guess that the tranny would have to come off. it is probably sitting at the bottom of the housing under the clutch, and i dont think a magnet would be able to reach it :sad:

B

·
0 Posts
get a TV / car antenna ( extendable) or long pole and stick some double sided sticky tape on one end - use a flash light to guide the end in , and push it firmly onto the desired object. IF its not too heavy/stuck it should stick and be able to be pulled back up to saftey.

well , best of luck !

·
Registered
150 Posts
have you taken the flywheel cover plate off? if it fell in when you removed the starter, then you might be able to get it out here. it wouldnt be inside the tranny itself jacking up your gears.

btw to get the cover plate off, you have to remove the little brackets holding it on, and maybe 2 of your oilpan bolts.

·
Cool User Title Here
6,900 Posts
racerpat94 said:
have you taken the flywheel cover plate off? if it fell in when you removed the starter, then you might be able to get it out here. it wouldnt be inside the tranny itself jacking up your gears.

btw to get the cover plate off, you have to remove the little brackets holding it on, and maybe 2 of your oilpan bolts.
Damn, good point!!! PR4U!

·
Registered
a city truck
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thats cool, but if going to do all that work i might as well go ahead and pull the tranny and slap on the y8 tranny i got in the garage. just didn't want to start another project cause i haven't drove my car since january. that crank pulley had me by the balls for a while, cause i work almost 12hrs everyday and when i get some time off, i need to spend it with my family u know?! but thanks for the info and help guys

alan

·
Registered
150 Posts
^yeah. the best thing i ever did to my car was put the y8 tranny on. its a big difference from the cx one. for those bastard crank pulleys, i found that a 3/4" impact ratchet works great. 3/8 and 1/2 just dont have the power. a lot of auto shops have a 3/4. the one here told me that for $10 he would break it loose and hand tighten it back so i could go home and take it off. anyway good luck w/ the tranny.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,434 Posts
Bad news, your gonna have to yank the tranny..............

The size of the pressure plate/flywheel is not gonna allow the socket to drop out the bottom.

I just checked this on a S20 tranny in the shop. Starting the engine is a BAD idea!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts