Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
the short bus
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So ive been watching this engineer guy on youtube. Im not the brightest so I like to listen to smart people. It becomes clear hes not a retard after about 5 mins of viewing. Bla bla bla. Point of this video is he dropped .2 of his 20-40mph time by removing 83lbs. I figure this might be helpful to somebody on here. What do you guys think? :euro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAZ9H0fe7dg

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
I have always been interested in weight loss since I heard the 100lbs off your car = .1 in the 1/4 mile. Never seen this one before, nice share.

·
Registered
92 cx
934 Posts
so if i remove 166lb of material from my car i should expect about a 8% drop of time off of my acceleration times?

·
D-series Janitor
Front Engine Dragste
1,220 Posts
The sound doesn't work on this crappy 2006-era laptop I am currently on for the week but the idea of ditching weight has been around for a long time.

My personal favorite is "The Bug" circa 1949, arguably the first dragster (made from a Model A).

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
so if i remove 166lb of material from my car i should expect about a 8% drop of time off of my acceleration times?
It doesnt work like that. There are way too many factors to calculate.

But yeah, basically, the more weight you lose, the easier the car is to accelerate.

Even better, if you can reduce rotational mass, the benefits are even GREATER! More power, AND less mass to accelerate.

·
Registered
Ek sedan
382 Posts
Even better, if you can reduce rotational mass, the benefits are even GREATER! More power, AND less mass to accelerate.
Going from some enkei 16s with huge tires to my hxs now made a noticeable difference on my car. I love light weight stuff. My sedan is light enough for me and a buddy to pick the rear wheels off the ground.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,252 Posts
I have always been interested in weight loss since I heard the 100lbs off your car = .1 in the 1/4 mile. Never seen this one before, nice share.
That works on heavy RWD cars that run around 14.0-15.0 ET's.

For a mid 15 second Honda, ON SLICKS (consistent results) I found 60 lbs = .1 faster.

Then again I removed a 5 lb piece of plastic and went .3 faster....because aero :)

·
Registered
My car...or my truck
1,035 Posts
Less weight goes faster, stops easier, and turns better...you know, if you're into that sort of thing. And like FarmerD said, less rotational mass, as well as less unsprung weight, have tremendous benefits too.

I need to go on a diet lol....

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
@ Danz - I have been making a list of mods, wheels, fenders, hood, trunk, then work on motor components to lessen rotational mass and overall mass to see how fast I can make my heavy sedan out of the corners. I would love to autox it some day. Don't really care about top speed as much as I did in my youth, I like the rush of taking a sweeper faster and tighter then the guy in front of you and setting them up for an inside pass on the way out.

@ Bone - That is interesting, I will have to add that to my equation in my head. I applied it across the board, but it will be interesting to figure it in with my Honda. I can take about 70lbs out of my car in a few minutes if I want, but I am looking for more, as stated above.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
This thread reminds me of my friend's turbo Miata that he auto-x'd w/o doors, fenders, or a front bumper! LOL

·
Registered
08 H-D Ultra Classic
985 Posts

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
I was looking at replacing panels and making my car more aero as well as lighter components( wheels removing rotational mass from the drive train). Unfortunately I drive an accord and they are pigs. But I'm not looking for competition level performance just good street driving.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Every time I look at my car I think, I could cut so much weight.

I tried it, gutted it all but my seat and dash(upper, lower was out). My sedan was so fucking loud and buzzy, but more agile no doubt.

I think keeping the interior in tact on a daily and making more power would be the best bet but I can cut weight for free and power costs....wish I could stop and leave it be but I sit in it every morning and think of ways to cut her down a bit. Might partially gut it again with more thought on comfort.

·
MuthaFuckaUppa
2009 Civic Si Sedan
528 Posts
A long time ago Honda Tuning had an NSX in it, stock motor, with NSX-R transmission goodies. The only mods done were weight related. Lighter rims, titanium rotors, lots of carbon fiber, etc. Ran high 10s or low 11s IIRC.

·
Registered
Ek sedan
382 Posts
Didn't hot rod cut up a corvette? Got to the point where the car was too light, had no grip?
I have a bunch of old hot rod magazines by the crapper. I missed the issue where they cut the car up but the other day I saw the one where they bring it back out and boost it with 2 leaf blowers on the carb lol

1 - 20 of 26 Posts