Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....YET! lol
Hey guys so i just got done putting on a Greddy 15g on my D16z6.
But i need to go over to a friends house and get my exhaust done before getting it tunned. (He lives about 15 miles away)

Would everything be okay if i were to unhook the piping going into the throttle body (and putting a filter on it), and driving to his house?
The turbo is internally wastegated, so as long as the wastegate is hooked up to the turbo, it should keep the turbo from over spinning itself, correct?
I just wanna make sure. My first turbo build... Better safe than sorry.. :sweatdrop:
(BTW i tried searching and couldnt find anything)

Forgot to add, yeah I would be driving it there with stock injectors and fuel pump. untill i get tunned.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
if you leave the stock injectors in with the stock ecu and stay completely out of boost you will be fine to drive it.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
staying out of boost is not hard my gt17 was half the size of your 15g...lol...ok that might be an exageration ....just shift at 3-3.5k....and give it a 1/4 throtal along with what boosted said

edit: do not leave the piping un hooked! that means your wastegate will never open and you will overspin the ish out of that turbo causing permenant damage

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
staying out of boost is not hard my gt17 was half the size of your 15g...lol...ok that might be an exageration ....just shift at 3-3.5k....and give it a 1/4 throtal along with what boosted said

edit: do not leave the piping un hooked! that means your wastegate will never open and you will overspin the ish out of that turbo causing permenant damage
yes what he said! do not unhook the piping.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
....Could also prop the wastegate in the open position and unhook charge pipes.
DO NOT unhook the charge pipes. it will ruin the turbo!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did not know that. THANKS.

sxysweed, Keeping the wastegate sounds like it would work, it wouldnt damage the wastegate? I could probably use a spring to keep it pulled upen uh?

The only problem about just staying out of boost is that where i like there is about 4 very steep hills to get here :(

ryan89crx, i was originally gonna buy a exhaust from ebay, but then my friend got a welder, so we thought it would be a lot better to make our own exhaust out of mandrel bends from Summit Racing...

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
I did not know that. THANKS.

sxysweed, Keeping the wastegate sounds like it would work, it wouldnt damage the wastegate? I could probably use a spring to keep it pulled upen uh?

The only problem about just staying out of boost is that where i like there is about 4 very steep hills to get here :(

ryan89crx, i was originally gonna buy a exhaust from ebay, but then my friend got a welder, so we thought it would be a lot better to make our own exhaust out of mandrel bends from Summit Racing...
x2 on not knowing the turbo would still over spin but makes sense since there is no back pressure to build boost for the wastegate.

now on the wastegate what about unhooking the arm so it would open when exhuast flows out?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah it makes complete sense when you think about it.

xile6, Yeah like unhooking the actuator arm so that the flap stays open, i wonder if that would work..

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Unhooking the flapper will work fine.

DO NOT unhook the charge pipes. it will ruin the turbo!
See I used to always say this, but now that I think about it, the boost builds exponentially as more boost is fed into the engine and out the exhaust. If no boost is being fed to the engine, will the turbo really spin that fast, even with the flapper hooked up and the turbine receiving all the engine's exhaust energy? I'd really like to get one of those garrett turbo speed gauges and bust or confirm this myth. Anyone feel like donating?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sentry thanks for confirming that.
So once unhooking the wastegate actuator arm from the flapper on the manifold, it should not be building any boost.
OR i could just unscrew the arm on the wastegate so that its all the way out, keeping the flapper open uh?

@ Sentry: Im guessing the size of the turbo would really depend wether or not the turbo over spins with the pipes unhooked

To everyone that posted, THANKS A LOT!

·
Registered
7,611 Posts
keep intake hooked up to intercooler/turbo and unhook the wastegate flapper from the wastegate arm on the actuator and dont give it alot of throttle you should be competely fine.

Main reason not to unhook the intake tubing is because the turbo overspins and goes waaaay over the RPM's it should ever see. destroying the oil bearings and even blowing up the turbine/compressor at times.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Just stay out of boost and you'll be fine. I drove mine with the T25 turbo and it didn't do anything. Just make sure you have a boost gauge to see if you're buidling boost

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought my hatch with no tune on stock injectors running just down pipe with a .50 trim drove it home 20 miles i just stayed out of boost as hard as it was LOL!! 2 1/2 years still going, tuned and on a way better fuel setup now of coarse

1 - 20 of 20 Posts