Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
make sure to give yourself ACD, keep your head up, and most importantly; use common sense..

It's really not as bad as people make it out to be as long as you're careful

·
Registered
936 Posts
do not i repeat do not drive fast if there is 1-2 inch of snow on the ground. you will die. i know i live in Minnesota. if there is snow on the road do not exceed 25mph. on freeways is a little better cause they salt the crap outa it. but still keep your distance from people. that snow is one sly mtf. more than 2 seconds. i usually stay at least 4 secs from people when there is snow on the road.

acceleration is going to suck so take your time. don't rush anything. and those turns. most dangerous of all. take those slow as fuck.

S

·
0 Posts
i dont care what anyone says fwd in snow is not any better. the only difference is the back end wont come around on you unless u pull the ebrake (which is fun sumtimes). in indy here we usually dont go above about 20 -25 mph and i keep about 6 car lengths in front of me. even with wider tires i still cant take off. also, ive heard a lot of people like to start out in 2nd gear, but i personally dont have to.

·
Curious George
'99 LX Civic Sedan
3,569 Posts
Put snow tire and make anti-rust treatment on your car :)

We have 6 month snow here I know what I'm talking about :) go slower, brake slower, and practice your handbrake. It can save your live.

·
Registered
96 hatch
593 Posts
i snowboard alot so in the winter i deal with heavy snow alot (tahoe area) my best tip- absolutley no sudden movements, just roll if any oversteer or under steer just keep your foot on the throttle lightly and point in whatever direction your trying to go. snow is tricky, i can't count the number of times i've seen big bad suvs fliped over or stuck in a ditch. and make sure your defrosters work well.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
if you start losing control (ie. hit some black ice)... turn INTO the slide. And don't hit the brakes... go to neutral. You want as little resistance to rolling on the road as possible. Once you feel the tires catch you can slowly turn.

GO SLOW! BTW, this applies to rain conditions, too. Don't forget to put a set of chains in your trunk. It's not for a swept road, but after it freshly snows you'll need them. Unless, snow is on the ground for most of the winter, skip getting snow tires. There were people in snow tires all year round in Portland... fuckers don't care that they're chewing up the road.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
what gets me is the idiots who buy 4wd and don't realize that they STILL have to drive slow in the snow or rain. I mean, there's only so much grip and if you still go faster in a turn or brake harder than you should, ALL the tires will slide.

·
Registered
500 Posts
1) NEVER GO INTO NEUTRAL

2) go lower gear, power out if you ever start losing control, that valuble traction you might hook on to is your friend

3) get snow tires, not all season shit, i have two sets, a summer and winter. My vw golf with winter tires is a fucking tank on the streets, in 2-3 inches of snow, no problem, hell ive tackled ice before

4) obviously dont drive stupidly fast

5) light breaking and try to downshift obviously

6) obviously dont break hard while turning at faster than usual speeds

and my final tip, go into a parking lot full of snow and practice losing control and do e-brake drifts, get familiar with what it feels like to lose control, and what full force ABS on a car with no diff feels like, scares the shit out of me every time it kicks in!! Its like someone is humping my tranny, honestly.

·
The Master Fabricator
2,038 Posts
Belette said:
Put snow tire and make anti-rust treatment on your car :)

We have 6 month snow here I know what I'm talking about :) go slower, brake slower, and practice your handbrake. It can save your live.
I went to school in Montreal.
What belette says is what I did.
Don't like the snow treatment though... too messy.

Snow tires are really THE MOST IMPORTANT THING YOU CAN DO!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts