Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice some noice from the passenger side of my 02 civic ex model every time I'm moving off from a stop light or wherever. It was a duralast cv axle i have on the that side and the stock on the driver side. After i take off my tire i hold the studs with both of my hands, one on the left and the other on the right, now i tried to move the hub which will turn the whole hub with the brake rotor. Before the whole thing started to turn, i realized the hub itself turned before the whole hub and brake rotor did. I can see the feel the hub racking inside the brake rotor. I tried the driver side that never happened. I tried so hard to do exactly what i did on the passenger side and it never make the slightest move. Is that normal for the hub to move inside the brake rotor before the whole thing tern.? Since i replace the cv axle i dont hear the noice again though.

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
Are you saying that the brake rotor simple has the lug stud holes widened or worn out, where the wheel hub is allowed to move slightly before it grabs the rotor? That is normal to a certain exent on aftermarket cheap rotors, where they dont care about a snug fit. Once the wheel is on and bolted down, it wont move.

Its kinda rare, but this can cause a lot of brake noise when pads are old and you have a caliper that is acting really sticky. The rotor ends up trying to move around a little bit under braking application.

Remove the brake rotor, and inspect the wheel studs to see if they are mashing the threads there, or if anything seems sloppy.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you saying that the brake rotor simple has the lug stud holes widened or worn out, where the wheel hub is allowed to move slightly before it grabs the rotor? That is normal to a certain exent on aftermarket cheap rotors, where they dont care about a snug fit. Once the wheel is on and bolted down, it wont move.

Its kinda rare, but this can cause a lot of brake noise when pads are old and you have a caliper that is acting really sticky. The rotor ends up trying to move around a little bit under braking application.

Remove the brake rotor, and inspect the wheel studs to see if they are mashing the threads there, or if anything seems sloppy.
I'm not sure if its the holes getting big but i can move the hub by holing the studs and move it.but the driver side dont have any play. I notice a soud on the passenger side when i brake as you mentioned earlier.

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
989 Posts
Its normal, think about it. You've not done many brake jobs before have you? Rotors always have holes larger than the wheel studs, and the hub and rotor are two individual pieces that could move independently from each other when the wheel is unbolted.

The driver side probably doesn't have any play because the rotor is rusted to the hub. Smack the center of the rotor with a 5lb hammer a few times, and it will likely separate from the hub, voila, they will both move.

They are normally two pieces, but over time will rust together. Either way rusted together or not, when you bolt the wheel against the rotor, it pulls the hub against the rotor and wheel, making the whole assembly one piece. As long as your wheels are torqued tight, they can't move at all. That's probably not where your noise is.

Did you torque your axle nut down, or just go good n' tight? If the axle is loose in the hub, you will get chatter between the hub and axle splines. The axle nut is a critical torque, because that is also what clamps the wheel bearing races together. If your axle nut is loose, you'll get all kinds of weird noises lol.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok.understand.no, i only change brake pads almost 2 yrs now. Yes, i torque the axle nut to 134ft. I haven't heard the noise anymore since i replace the axle. appreciate your reply.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts