Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
The Wife and the Car
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know my drive shafts are shot.
When I turn right or left I hear a loud clicking noise.

So took it to Honda show room. they want 400$ + Labour to replace both the drive shafts. But even after waiting a month they have not been able to source the parts for me.

So I did some diging arround and had some questions.
The sound indicates a problem with the CV joint.
And yes the CV Joint rubber is cut on the outside.

My question is when your CV Joint goes.
Do you guys replace the complete drive shaft or just the Cv joint.

Can I order just a CV joint from any company in the US.
My Block is a D15 head is a y8. Would anybody be kind enoughf to tell me what CV joint needs to be ordered. i.e. number of splines / height etc.

Or should I just keep after honda and buy two new shafts from them ?
How much power can the stock drive shafts take ?
Can they handle 200-300 BHP ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well I'm not 100% on how much hp they can handle but I'm pretty sure you can order axles from autozone/ schucks but I personally go to a local shop called northwest drive lines they deal with axles of all kinds I wanna say they charged like 60 bucks each if I'm not mistaken. And I bet you can order a replacement cv boot/ joint from any parts supplier and if you have a dseries just ask for the stock axles. But as far as performance axles I've heard good things about raxles

·
Registered
68 Camaro
4,583 Posts
get a new axle. not worth it to take it apart. ive done it. not worth it. theyre only like 60 bucks from part store and lots of people on here run em

·
Registered
A car
475 Posts
Axles are 60 bucks. If you buy axles with a core charge they're like 40 bucks.

When I changed my first axle I didn't know what I was doing, I didn't even know what an axle nut was and I even had to buy a 32mm socket.

It took me 30-ish minutes to do the first side and 15 minutes to do the other.

FAQ: Axle Replacement Tutorial With PICS! - Honda-Tech

1 - 4 of 4 Posts