Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so I have been kicking around the idea of switching my drain line setup and wanted some advice.

so I run a forward facing manifold and my oil line only has 2" or so of drop. no way around it the line sags (rubber), I haven't ran into issues yet (that I know of) but I know holsets need good drains.

so my idea was to get a piece of pipe, not sure as to what would be best, suggestions? I have heard people say vibrations could cause pipe failure on some materials, so my thinking is that of charge piping. if I run a 90* rubber piece off the turbo drain fitting to a strait piece of pipe to a small rubber "coupler" to the pan fitting.

my thinking is the rubber on both ends will absorb the vibrations keeping the pipe from failing and the hard line will maintain a downward slope without a sag in the middle allowing the oil to drain better.

thoughts?

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a tight-ish bend....its not as much the bend as it is the sag in the line. there is no way to avoid the sag

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
again that really wont fix the problem. my drain is a 90* bend off the turbo to about 12-18" horizontal strait section to the oil pan with a couple inch drop. naturally rubber doesn't do horizontal so it sags in the middle.....

again I do not need any bends, twists or turns....o'riellies/autozone/napa/advance all sell pre-bent 5/8ths hose with a tight bend, they work great. its the 12-18" between the turbo and the oil pan that only has a 2" drop to it.

look at my signature, see where the turbo is located

·
Registered
369 Posts
The way my turbo sits on the cast topmount I have I had to do the first part in hard line to clear everything, since the hardline has a smaller OD than braided SS. A lot of stock cummins holset returns are solid on both ends with braided SS in the middle for flex. IMO as long as you have some portion of the return that can deal with flexing it should be fine. I say run it like how you are proposing.

I believe steel is less susceptible to undesired work hardening from vibrations than aluminum, but you might want to check with someone who knows for sure on that one.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I wouldn't worry to much about the vibration off the turbo, the issue more so is when a dumptube vibrates and will crack a manifold... this is a smaller piece of metal with not a lot of metal hanging off of it .

Even if you use stainless steel hose it still wants to sag ? You could use the piece of pipe in the middle but its just another joint ( if you're using clamps ) to add to a fail spot. I don't like the idea myself, could you make some type of brace of the block of manifold to hold the line up ?

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wouldn't worry to much about the vibration off the turbo, the issue more so is when a dumptube vibrates and will crack a manifold... this is a smaller piece of metal with not a lot of metal hanging off of it .

Even if you use stainless steel hose it still wants to sag ? You could use the piece of pipe in the middle but its just another joint ( if you're using clamps ) to add to a fail spot. I don't like the idea myself, could you make some type of brace of the block of manifold to hold the line up ?
I have not tried stainless hose, I don't have any to try with...

I have always used cheap rubber drains (fuel line iirc) that I replace every year or two when it gets mushie

I guess I could build some sort of bracket to hold up the middle of the line. its a drain line so I didn't really worry to much about the "joints" as its not under any pressure, a couple quick tacks on the ends for rhmt style bead rolls or if I go copper/aluminum just flare out the end a bit. idk

it does add more fail points but seems like it would give me a better drain overall

·
Registered
393 Posts
Id do it. Plenty of oem turbo return lines are metal. Copper absorbs heat more than say steel or aluminum. If you flare then ends youll be fine just check it when youre changing your oil

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I wouldn't do full metal, seen way to many units fail over time, hair line cracks and they have to be welded up. Sti is a different story though, but its also a total different car. I myself would try stainless steel hose, I don't see how it would sag like BiggieBert said.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
super crappy quick drawing of what im thinking

the black hose is what it currently looks like. the red is my idea...on both ends are rubber hose just like I have as couplers....it maintains a constant slope with not dip

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
super crappy quick drawing of what im thinking

the black hose is what it currently looks like. the red is my idea...on both ends are rubber hose just like I have as couplers....it maintains a constant slope with not dip
Why not just metal all the way just a small piece or rubber in the middle?

Also I found 10an drain, that mounts side ways in ebay before. I can't remember the name of it but if I find it I'll post it.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
3,944 Posts
again that really wont fix the problem. my drain is a 90* bend off the turbo to about 12-18" horizontal strait section to the oil pan with a couple inch drop. naturally rubber doesn't do horizontal so it sags in the middle.....

again I do not need any bends, twists or turns....o'riellies/autozone/napa/advance all sell pre-bent 5/8ths hose with a tight bend, they work great. its the 12-18" between the turbo and the oil pan that only has a 2" drop to it.

look at my signature, see where the turbo is located
my link was meant from the turbo to the pan, youll see that it will support the sag with the metal, all you have to do is get it to slip over the drain and the return fittings and voila the sag is gone. it was a cheap simple idea.
could you do something cheap and simple like a piece of coat hanger zip tied to both ends before and after the sag to straighten it out?

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Had to make my oil return line for my shop car, front forward manifold, I used the black steel hose...... no sags at all with two AN fittings on both sides.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts