Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im just wondering what the downsides may be to the greddy kit. i know the price is why most people dont go that way, but other than that whats so bad? and how "bad" is the e-manage that comes with it? im guessing i'd be better off chipping/tuning with crome etc...but COULD i use e-manage safely untill i get dyno tuned? and could i use it on an obd2 n/a car?

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
the edlebrock is better...much more room for improvement with that setup...however the greddy kit isn't necessarily something to sneer at either...most people stay away from kits in generally because they can piece their own kit together for less...

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
found my greddy kit a year and half ago or so for 600shipped
great kit. loved it for a dd with a stock motor with headstuds.
the emanage is a waste of time tho. so chipped ecu is the way to go.

but i say if you want a nice quick dd with awesome spool time a greddy kit the the way to go. but like ryan said you cant really upgrade the turbo without gettin new mani and dp. thats about the only downfall i think.
not being able to make a shit ton of power is not a crazy downfall since it will do well more then a stock motor is "supposed" to handle.(all in the tuner)

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
im not looking to brk any records. just want a fun dd. but i could always upgrade the turbo couldnt I? manifold?

if i could keep up with my friends dsm from a roll i'd be happy. i just wann be stock dsm fast and hear..ssssSSSSS! PPSSSHHHH! with my DD.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
the go out and build your own kit, or get a good used greddy...good luck, won't need to much extra power to keep up with your buddy (unless he himself have got some good upgrades)

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
im not looking to brk any records. just want a fun dd. but i could always upgrade the turbo couldnt I? manifold?

the greddy kit has wierd different fitment issues.
not sure what all turbos work with the kit besides the 15g and 18g(i think 18g) but you run into problems with the turbo hittin the block cause the mani doesnt push it out far enough. i looked into it a little when i had mine. kinda a hassle i personaly didnt wanna deal with.
and the elbow doesnt fit many other turbos if any other then the ones in greddy kits.
makes for more of a headache

·
Shoot me!
6,890 Posts
Great kit for a dd i had a 19t kit. I had a 18g also snail would hit the block just have to shave a spot on the outside of block and it would fit never got to use the 18g sold it. Greddy's fucked up exhaust flanges made it hard to upgrade not much out there besides custom dp for an upgrade. Greddy kit with good fuel management and some 450's will do you fine against mr crankwalk. Try to find a used one with ic setup.

·
CR-Vtakin
11,459 Posts
I have had a greddy kit on my car for just over 4 years. Here are some things I have learned with it over that time. I got the greddy kit brand new, I traded my used jrsc for it straight across.

The wastegate actuator is weak. I added a helper spring to this to get it to hold boost.

the vacuum source off the turbo to the wastegate thing is bullshit. cap this off and run vacuum to the wastegate thing from a seperate vacuum source.

stock elbow is junk, it is restrictive. I got a tubular one from Greg at Go-Autoworks.

exhaust manifold is restrictive as hell, especially the #2 and #3 runners. there is a major hump in there. this is the most restrictive part of the system.

downpipe is tiny, i upgraded.

bluebox is junk, i quickly reinstalled my hondata and retuned it for the turbo.

I also upgraded to the 19t and sold my 15g. I am currently running 230hp and 218tq on my greddy kit. Would I buy this kit outright if I had to do it over again? NO. The reason I initially got it was in trade. It was new and in the box and I was starting to have problems with my jrsc so it was a no brainer. If I had to do a turbo set up on another car, I would buy a kit from Greg at go-autoworks. Dont get me wrong, this is a really fun set up and I wont be changing it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
From what I heard, the kits come with a fairly small turbo. Thats why I didnt get one. I find one for 600 though. Came with the td04h turbo, which is like the stock eclispe turbo if Im correct?

·
Registered
501 Posts
i got my kit for 425 shipped.

i maxed out the kit on the 15g at 242 hp and 215 tq on a dynojet.

i want to upgrade to the 19t and make close to 275-285 and ill be happy.

fitment wasnt an issue at all...i also used crome instead of emanage. Still running stock elbow and greddy downpipe on an apexi ws2.

·
Registered
438 Posts
just picked up a used kit but haven't installed it yet. where do you find the 19t upgrades? is it a stock turbo off another car?

sorry for the jack.
btw, found mine complete with the front intercooler, turbo timer, e-manage, and complete d15b7 swap for $1k.

look around deals are out there.

·
Registered
287 Posts
the greddy would be a good start and a nice set-up for dd if you can find it cheap.
i had a few of the setup's and were pretty satisfied overall; i didn't need to "smash" on anyone, i just wanted more power for the dd

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
so other than the greddy turbo kit, all i would "need" is a fmic? and would you guys say that emanage would suffice untill i get to a dyno?

i just want like 175 hp to the wheels and i'd be grateful. but could always upgrade mani,turbo and downpipe later if i wanted. but for now i just want to keep my 2.5" exhaust and hang with my buddies dsm(stock everything besides injen intake and 3" exhaust)

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
so other than the greddy turbo kit, all i would "need" is a fmic? and would you guys say that emanage would suffice untill i get to a dyno?

i just want like 175 hp to the wheels and i'd be grateful. but could always upgrade mani,turbo and downpipe later if i wanted. but for now i just want to keep my 2.5" exhaust and hang with my buddies dsm(stock everything besides injen intake and 3" exhaust)
Well most tuners now a days won't touch greddy e-manage, its just not accurate and leads to more problems down the road.

If you are planning on upgrading the manifold, turbo and downpipe , then basically you will piecing together your own kit, which would be the best route to do now a days.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I would never buy a greddy kit new. There are other kits at the same price thats ten times better.

I would only buy greddy kit again if it was as cheap as i got it the first time (400)

I didnt get emange with my kit though...i already had a chipped ECU so i just asked for a basemap to get me to a tuner.

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
14b turbo, nice charge piping and get all the other odds and ends for less money, very quick spool and cheap. Thats what id do

1 - 20 of 22 Posts