Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the y7 come with dowel pins from the factory? Any honda motor I have ever put together had them, but when I pulled the head on my y7 to replace the HG I didn't see them. So I re-installed it without them.

But the HG popped again, so its coming off and I'm replacing it with a y8 head and having the tuner pull some timing when he re tunes.

Anyway, the y8 head I have now is mint, but there is only one dowel pin on the head. Are there usually two? I want to make sure I have this head installed correctly and I'm torquing the shit outta the ARP's and the HG better not pop again, this is my DD.

Thanks

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
yes, there are two dowel pins in each head/block combo honda produced.

not everyone puts them back in. so every once and a while you will get one with out them. i don't reinstall them..

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
Are you sure the head is true since the HG keeps blowing out?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i checked it last time i pulled it off. it was fine. i think i got a bad tank of gas, i was in 5th going about 90 and i was at WOT to about 110 and i noticed the temp started to go up. i pulled over and there was coolant pushing over the coolant resivor. so i haven't boosted since then, and its been fine, because its my DD i can't have the HG blow completely.
instead of changing the HG with the stock non V head, I am just going to throw on the y8 head because i know that is good. And I figured if I'm going back to the tuner to pull some timing, i might as well throw the head on and have him re tune with a lil vtec action, make a few more horses maybe.

·
11,892 Posts
Don't boost like that in 5th gear dude.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
huh? my car is tuned, it's not my first turbo car. ectune is just as capable as hondata or a "standalone" such as AEM. the tuning program shouldn't matter.
i just think the tuner has too much total timing for 93 octane gas. i have to have him pull a little bit, so when i do get a "questionable" tank of gas, it doesn't pop again.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
if its using the main honda ecu as its running system (i.e. chipped ecu), its going to do funny things with timing in 5th gear. the hondata doesn't do it for some strange reason. but anyway, 5th is known for blowing up engines due to the timing change that is part of the honda ecu.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The ECU doesn't know what gear the car is in. The only thing the ECU sees as far as gear is concern is load.

It was most likely a bad tank of gas that caused this. I have done pulls through 5th gear for longer than I did this one. I'm not sure on the timing the tuner had, but it is most likely tuned on the edge for pump gas.

And hondata uses the OEM ECU, so what are you talking about?

Anyway the post was just about dowel pins, I wasn't sure if the y7 had em. I am used to doing B series and my F20c.

·
11,892 Posts
Try not boosting in 5th and I bet your HG issues go away.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts