Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Honda Civic Coupe
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so im gonna do some maintenance on my d16y8 within the next 2 weeks and will be of course replacing a few parts.

car is doing 89,000 miles... timing belt was changed at 77,000 but nothing else was (stupid theiving mechanics)

so far i've bought
head gasket
valve cover gasket
vtec solenoid gasket
spark plug seals
cam and crank seals
rear main seal
distributor outer o-ring (cant find the inner one to buy)

i just ordered the valve stem seals, oil pan seal and the valve cover grommets so i shud get them monday. still looking for a water pump as well and i want to know- is this water pump thing specific to each d series engine or are they the same? a part number (oem) would be cool too if possible... and are there any seals i need to buy for installing the new water pump as well?

is there anything else that i should address one time? i dont want to have to go back in there for a few years well for this kinda thing...

and another note... is sand blasting as effective as hot tanking- re cleaning out the head? im also getting this done with a slight (010) mill on the head... and since it all gotta come apart im gonna do the new valve stem business one time? sense?

thanx!!!

·
D-Series Post Be-itch... gimme gimme gimme
3,203 Posts
So why are you re-guiding it? You don't have to do anything till like 100 K, and even then, just timing belt and water pump would do. Honda's don't need a lot of maintenance.

·
Registered
Honda Civic Coupe
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So why are you re-guiding it? You don't have to do anything till like 100 K, and even then, just timing belt and water pump would do. Honda's don't need a lot of maintenance.
so.. no need to change valve stem seals thats what you're saying rite?
i was just going to change them instead of having to put back on the old ones after the head is cleaned...

i came looking for advice... obviously i dont know how these things go.

·
3,203 Posts
Why clean the head?? is there something wrong with it?

If cleaning the head, I WOULD replace the seals, but I wouldn't go out of my way to do anything like that if there is no need to.

·
Registered
Honda Civic Coupe
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nothing is wrong with the head except that it might need some shaving since i may have a damaged head gasket on right now. honestly i am just wary that the previous owner didnt maintain the car properly (got the car with a few oil leaks and broken valve cover bolts) so its mainly fear that has me wanting to send the head to be cleaned. is it really necessary though? again, i dont know so i asks. if it dont make sense i just wont.
i jus think that 88k miles/ 140k km's is a lot :|

·
3,203 Posts
88K on a Honda is just broken in. ;)

As far as the head goes, do whatever you are comfortable with. If you take the head off and it looks like ass, do it all. If the cylinders look good, then replace the head gasket, mill the head just enough to make it flat (if it is warped), and be happy.

P.S. valve cover bolts are EASY to break. I have one broken now that I'm too lazy to remove. lol.

·
Registered
Honda Civic Coupe
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oh ok! well great then. i guess the mechanic should know whether i really need to clean the head or not or whatever. all i want is my car to continue working fine..

ok but now the water pump issue.. im changin that! (think its overdue maybe)
is it specific to the y8 or would any d series or any other d series d16y pump work? and are there any additional seals i need to get for it when installing the new one?

PS 3 of my vc 5 bolts were broken! really sucks.. fixed that tho.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts