Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have aquired a full freakin roll of aircraft quality pre-pregged carbon fiber (31yards L X 70in W). Yes the good stuff. Its looks like a dead body in my freezer and I have no room for my frozen pizzas. hehe anyway I am looking to fab some goodies for my EF, but I dont have anywhere to cook it. Does anyone know where there is a walkin oven or somewhere I can make my prototypes? Since the cf is prepregged with resin, I need to bake it @ about 350-450 for about an hour. Any help would be greatfull. I want to mold door skins and clear out the back seats. A nice carbon fiber dash would look cool with some cutouts for guages. The CF retails over $4000.00 bucks. Thank gowd I know some peeps in the aircraft worlds. favors for favors. :)

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
how about professional paint shops? not maaco but the expensive ones. They bake your car's shell to cure the paints. VERY big ovens...

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
paint ovens are not the same. They use lights to bake the paint. I would need a gas oven, like the one at home but in a large scale. something like a keln for pottery.

D

·
0 Posts
los angeles air force base, there sheet metal shop has a big oven in there to cure fiberglass and such. or use a heat lamp and thermocouples to monitor the temperature. your friends in the aircraft business, they dont have an oven for you?

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
those guys relocated, not worth a 3 hour drive to cure carbon fiber. I was hoping to find something local. I'll end up fabricating an oven I guess. I didnt want to, Im still looking for an oven to use but worst case is to fab one I could. Heat lamps wont disperce the heat good enough to cure it correctly. That would be good for a small plug though. ARG!!

D

·
0 Posts
yes, heat lamps can.... thats my job, and it works. just use thermocouples to monitor the heat. you want to place about 5 of them all around to monitor the temperature evenly. for small stuff, you could also use heat blankets and monitor them again with the thermocouples..

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thats interesting. I'll have to try that. what kind of heat lamps wattage/volts? I need to bake it at about 350-400.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts