Honda D Series Forum banner

Dohc zc valve springs...who else besides supertech?

8K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  curiousH 
#1 ·
I'm realizing with the age of this motor, support is kind of dwindling....in my searching so far all I've been able to find is supertech or blox. And honestly, THE ONLY reason I said blox is so hopefully no one brings it up lol.

Just got the call today from the machinist about my cyl head, and as I suspected it does need exhaust guides.

He had mentioned it would be wise to upgrade my springs for the cams I'll be running (colt tri flow).

So, in my searching those look like the only 2 readily available options. Hopefully some of you guys can chime in with some recommendations.

#3 ·
#4 ·
From looking at the specs from ST
SPR-TS1015-ZC

77lbs @34.50mm (1.358")

It looks like you can sneak H22 springs or B18A/B18B valve springs In there.

The BC springs are
70lbs @ 1.400

But compressing them by .040 should put you in the 80lb range.

Now the retainers.. I can not say, Id have to look and measure to see if the stock retainers would have to work.

#9 · (Edited)
Thanx for the input guys, repped who I could....need to spread rep before I can get some of you other guys .

The Crespo option looked good, saw that they were only rated for like 7500 rpms....which...could work...it is a ball and socket design....sounds like 8/8.5k rpm is about max. (Stated from a trusted forum member)

I did notice in the Crespo description it mentioned a max lift of like 12.5mm, so I will need to find the specs on the tri flow cam. Still undecided I guess, but once I find the specs for the cam lift that should help out.

And I was reading the 4g63 thread as that was being discussed, very cool and innovative work to say the least, just not sure if that's am option I wish to pursue right now.

#12 ·
Ya, it sounds sketchy...and I more than likely will never, intentionally Rev it that high. Realistically 7.5k

Side note...got a reply from colt cams, and as it turns out, the cams I purchased second hand, are in fact NOT the tri flows, been a very irritating morning...

#13 ·
8k is no problem. I run that with stock cams and stock springs. Acid beaver likes to recommend 8500 as the limit for the DOHC ZC.

I think any of the springs mentioned would work fine. I have a set of rocket's ready to go in when the time comes. They are single spring, and made to rev to 10,000(not that I would). They were really cheap too, when he had a black friday sale last year(something like 70-80 shipped)

The Colt cams you bought off me are the race cams, not the tri-flows... I looked at the for sale add and it looks like I edited all the content in it once everything sold(in feb) so I cannot confirm how I had it posted, but I'm certain I did not advertise as the tri-flow(only mention this, as I don't want to think I sold you something they weren't, not to start a fight about the parts.)

I'm sorry you thought they were the tri-flows but I'm certain you will like the way they perform!!!!

#14 ·
It's all good man, I mean , how long ago was that lol, I don't remember y I thought they were the tri flows, but I'm still very eager to see how well they perform!

I spent a couple hours yesterday searching trying to decide which springs to.go with, ...FINALLY found a thread on thezcr where members had crespo spring failures. So, rocket springs it is!

#16 ·
Hi, I am from Spain and I feel I have to say something about this matter:
Don't buy Supertech double springs (well, they are not anymore double springs, and since about 2 years ago they come in packs of single valve springs too). They are not made specifically for the ZC DOCH. I can assure this.

I bought a set of these 2 years ago, and when I received these were a total failure.
1) I checked heights, and there were variations of nearly 1mm within all of them!
2) They were not straight (I checked them with a precision square). Out of safety range.
3) And lastly, the length of these were not intended for a ZC DOHC! These came with super thick valve spring seats, to increase the pressure...

They seemed more like B18A springs than anything else... I returned them.

So, I contacted with Rocket Motorsports, and asked them to make a specifical springs for the ZC. I worked along with them during some weeks, helping with sizes, valve spring pressures, etc. And after some months of waiting, they released the new single valve springs. With a conservative valve spring pressure, but enough to hold any high lift and duration camshaft till the real "safety" revolution range of any ZC DOHC: which is about 8500rpm to be safe, despite the high performance camshaft can make more power above this range. Anyway, these new springs can hold higher rpm range without trouble.

I hope this helps.

#18 ·
Let's do some boring knowledge sharing again.

Mugen ZC valve springs:

14761-XB2-00RA (Intake)
Free lenght: 48 mm ±0.2 mm
Weight: 40 g
Gap between coils:
- 31 mm = 1,50 mm
- 28 mm = 0,05 mm

14762-XB2-00RA (Exhaust)
Free lenght: 46 mm ±0.2 mm
Weight: 43 g
Gap between coils:
- 33 mm = 1,50 mm
- 28 mm = 0,05 mm

#23 ·
i revved my dohc zc to 8k all day long, only problems with valvetrain i had was one of the sockets worked its way loose and a retainer cracked (stock springs and retainers with tri flow IIs).

d16a1 basemap from hondata, didnt pull past 7400, first pull was downhill, second pull was uphill
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZbqymdy8WM

these were basemaps from matt that i was working on, pulls were on flat roads, his basemaps made a significant difference in top end
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhsfG24s9wA

8200rpm in this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3zlCJIuXz8

#24 ·
I can personally say that Rocket Motorsports DOHC ZC valve springs are a great product. I see you mentioned needing some guides changed anyway so you will be replacing valve seals. Other people may be interested to know that the Rocket Motorsports springs are a direct swap and do not require spring bases to be changed or anything which means they can be swapped without having to replace the valve seals. It's also worth noting that Robert at Rocket Motorsports was terrific to deal with, answers questions quickly and is very willing to help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.