Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
yamaha r1
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, so recently i just purchased a 1992 cx hatch and i am debating wether or not to drop in the ZC or the D16. Basically, i plan on boosting this motor almost within a month of the swap. Now, reading up on things, i have determined that it is easier to boost the ZC...but i want to know if you can make more power out of the D16.

As for the swap procedure, currently there is a d15b7 in the honda now. Im guessing its using the factory wiring harness that should be unmodified. Will the swap be easier for the ZC? What my concern is that, the zc is from an 88-91 model (thats what im reading off the website where im getting the motor from) will need some modifying to the harness - or am i just worrying too much and its just basically plug and play?

ugh...im so confused to which route to go. Id rather just do a non-vtec swap and boost, just because everything seems easier to work with.

How difficult and costly is it to change out the pistons and rods, or should i just not worry about that right now.

ill just post this to see what i can get from you guys. Thanks.

and where can i get the ecu for it if i go that route?

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Not really sure about the ZC being easier to turbo. There are so many more supporting mods for the Z6/Y8 than the ZC. Assuming you don't have either motor already, I really think you should go that route. And regarding the CX harness, I have a VX and I'm using a modified P06 Ecu (manual) with a Z6 long block with the crap VX tranny... You should be plug-and-play my friend.

Just my opinion; feel free to research it for yourself though...

·
Registered
yamaha r1
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Not really sure about the ZC being easier to turbo. There are so many more supporting mods for the Z6/Y8 than the ZC. Assuming you don't have either motor already, I really think you should go that route. And regarding the CX harness, I have a VX and I'm using a modified P06 Ecu (manual) with a Z6 long block with the crap VX tranny... You should be plug-and-play my friend.

Just my opinion; feel free to research it for yourself though...
Are you talking about the d16 route? You seem to be a little more leaning towards that way from the explaination you made saying the d16 has more supportablility....

I think a little more reading earlier has kinda led me to believe that the d16 is a little more up my alley. Reason being is im just going to purchase the harness adapter from hasport ( i believe) for the vtec insertion, instead of ghetto-wiring the clips. Plus I have a guy to do the tuning for me already set up, and thats the motor hes running in his coupe.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Save yourself from having to buy the harness adaptor and just get a chipped/slotted P28 manual ecu. Since it has been years since I had to deal with the ecu, you might have a coupe wires to mess with... But are soooo many threads on this, just do some reading up and you'll understand it in no time.

BTW, yes. I was talking about D16 as asked earlier... You won't be disappointed going this route. Trust me!

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
both will handle the same power levels in stock or built form, so dont worry about that. as for easier to boost, they will be the same amount of work. the z6 does require a little more tuning due to the fact that it is vtec.

basically, go with whatever you can get for cheaper

·
Registered
288 Posts
dont get the 91 zc its obd0 and youll have to change the sensor plugs. if u get a zc, make sure its obd1.

i would get the z6 they have better top end. ive boosted both motors with the same turbo setup and i just like the z6 better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts