Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
982 Posts
wow nice thread very helpful thnx

but i got a question... i have a civic 95 OBD1 D16A9 and i need information about the distributor ... which could i use since its obd1?

and my ECU is P29. is it a good ECU or can i use another OBD1 ECU with better set up ?

:confused::confused:
the OBD1 DOHC ZC distributor is TD43U - the P29 ECU is the best one to use

· Registered
982 Posts
noticed that you have oil pan listed as 88-89 Integra - the Integra pan will only work if you also use the Integra oil pump pickup - the 88-91 CRX/Civic Si D16A6 oil pan works without changing the pickup - the ZC pan is slightly deeper than the D16A6 and requires 1/2 quart more oil

Attachments

· Registered
982 Posts
so what your saying is the a1 pan is shallow so use the a1 oil pick up.. but the a6 will work with the zc oil pick up because of the depth of the pan?
no, not the depth - the difference is in how far thr pickup projects from the oil pump in toward the middle of the engine - the attached picture shows where the Si or ZC pickup bolts to the girdle - the D16A1 Integra pickup bolts to the other set of holes that are to the left of the Si/ZC in the picture - this is to locate the pickup in the right spot in the pan

Attachments

· Registered
982 Posts
So will the ZC motor fit in a 1986 Civic Si Hatchback? Those were my favorite body style Civic hatchbacks. Is there any reason why not a lot of people tune those 1985-86 hatchbacks?
the ZC engine that fits in the 3g Civic is the JDM "browntop" DOHC ZC that came from the factory in the JDM 3g Civic Si and JDM 1g CRX Si - that is not the same engine that fits the 88-91 Civic/CRX - the USDM 86-87 Integra D16A1 is basically the same as the JDM "browntop" DOHC ZC, except it is lower compression and has a lot milder camshafts

· Registered
982 Posts
Thanks for the help on the series of ZC engines.
I was wondering what Gen of ZC engine I had.
actually, from your picture, that appears to be a 92-95 OBD1 DOHC ZC that someone has converted to run OBD0 - either that, or they put an OBD1 intake manifold on an OBD0 engine - my guess is that it is the 92-95 with OBD0 distributor and cylinder sensor

· Registered
982 Posts
So, in plain english, 88 transmission uses 88 only clutch and flywheel. And 89-up may use 89-91 clutch and flywheel.

Tried and proven I assume? Please believe that I am not trying to sound like a tool. Just want to make sure before to put a 89 civic clutch on my zc flywheel just to have it not work then have to deal with a return policy.

thanks all,
not quite right - you need the clutch that matches your flywheel - 88-89 CRX/Civic and ZC flywheels use a 200mm diameter clutch - 90-91 CRX/Civic and ZC flywheels use a 212mm diameter clutch - they are not interchangeable - if you have 89-91 transmission, the clutch is determined solely by the flywheel you are using - 88-89 flywheel uses 89 Si clutch - 90-91 flywheel uses 90-91 clutch - if you have 88 transmission and 88-89 flywheel, you use 88 CRX Si clutch - if you have 88 transmission and 90-91 flywheel, you use 88-89 CRX/Civic Si pressure plate and 88 Accord clutch disc

· Registered
982 Posts
a lot of people mistakenly call the USDM Integra D16A1 engine a ZC - the DOHC ZC engines first appeared in Japan in the 1st gen CRX Si and 3rd gen Civic Si models from 84 to 87 - they had a brown valve cover (and are thus referred to as "browntop ZC"), external coil, vacuum advance ignition distributor (distributor cap is perfectly round with coil wire in center), dual butterfly throttle body and driver's side engine mount on the front of the block (toward the radiator) - these engines are basically like the 86-87 U.S. Integra D16A1 (also brown valve cover), with better camshafts and can be identified by the engine identification stamped on the block, which said ZC and serial number beginning with the number "1" - the 88-89 Integras in Japan also had a DOHC ZC which was essentially the same as the "browntop", except they had a black valve cover, electronic advance ignition with internal coil in the distributor and different throttle body and different CYLinder sensor on the end of the exhaust camshaft - the identification on these engines was also ZC with serial number beginning with the number "5" - these engines are basically the same as the 88-89 U.S. Integra D16A1 (also black valve cover), except for the camshafts - any of these ZCs and D16A1s will bolt right into the 84-87 U.S. CRX/Civic if you use the 86-89 Integra transmission, axles, knuckles/hubs and shift linkage - the identification stamp on the "browntop ZC" and the 86-87 Integra D16A1 is on the back of the block above where the starter is located - for your purposes in swapping the head, you need the 86-87 Integra head if it has vacuum advance ignition and external coil or the 88-89 Integra head if it has electronic advance ignition - the internal parts of the heads (except camshafts) are all the same

this is where you find the I.D. stamp on the early engines

this is 88-89 D16A1 head on left and 86-87 D16A1 head on right - blue circles are bolt locations for the Cylinder sensor and red circles are bolt locations for the distributor

1 - 8 of 8 Posts