Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a DOHC ZC and it runs decent but it fouls out spark plugs on the #1 cylinder a lot. And every time i go to change the spark plugs the #1 is always harder to break loose and is always dead black after about a month. Also has a random misfire/hesitation when i give it gas sometimes. changed plugs.. dizzy cap and rotor.. wires.. Checked timing which is difficult because i don't have a timing belt cover and can't find one. I was told it might be my o2 sensor so i'm gonna try that but I thought I'd come here and see what everyone else thought about it. Also the only code I'm getting is for my speed sensor and I know that doesn't effect anything but the speedometer.

·
Registered
178 Posts
mine use to pop 3rd cyl wire, replaced spark plugs - #3 was penetrated by gas from comb chamber, and created a little bit of a pressure in spark well.

do you clean well before removing sparks, to make sure no dust is left on thread or whatever?
also measure compression, is #1 cyl's same as others?

·
Registered
'94 DX Sedan
167 Posts
If compression is fine, then you may need new valve guides/stem seals. Oil can only get into the cylinder a few ways, neither of which is easily fixed. Maybe try running a little thicker oil (10w-40) if you aren't already.

·
Registered
'94 DX Sedan
167 Posts
For some reason I thought you were talking about oil fouling the plug. Anywho...

You could also try listening to each injector with a stethoscope and verify that they all sound uniform and consistent.

If the one in question is inconsistent or sticking, try jumping it directly to the battery a few times to get it unstuck. If that doesn't work, get a set of new injectors.

·
Registered
08 H-D Ultra Classic
986 Posts
Swap injector to another cylinder and see if problem changes to that cylinder?
I would try this!

Or run another set to see if it helps clear the issue

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Compression is 180 on all 4. Changed my o2 and reset the ecu and that seems to have done it for now. I'll check the plugs again and see what they look like. I swapped injector #1 with #4 also. I might go ahead and change my valve stem seals if the problem comes back. I just hope its not the rings lol

·
Registered
'94 DX Sedan
167 Posts
If the rings were the issue, I would run thicker oil to postpone having to re-reing or rebuild.

My car has 230,000mi and slowly burns 5w30, but it doesn't burn 10w40. On a side note, my compression is also around 170-180 on all four.

I wouldn't change the stem seals unless I absolutely had to, and at that point you might as well rebuild the head.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm currently running 10w40 only smoke I see is when I get it between 6 and 7k. And its not enough for me to determine the color of the smoke. However it did smoke pretty bad getting on the highway (blueish smoke) but hasn't done it bad since then. Might go and check timing again I hate timing a zc lol. Thinking of getting rid of the zc all together its driving me crazy. I already had to rewire the whole thing that solvedmost of my problems.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Hopefully switching injectors moves the problem to the new cyl. Easy fix and relatively cheap fix if thats the case!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Swapping injectors done nothing. New o2 sensor helped but now the problem is back. Added some extra ground wires to see if that was it but nope. I did find a vacuum leak between the brake booster and master cylinder.. is it possible that that's what's causing my problem?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts