Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so is the dohc zc a good engine too build na or better for turbo? Is it worth it too try to build the dohc for na if so what kind of specs could u get, like cams,port and polish,biger throttle body,heads? I had a sohc zc in a 90 civic si with a wierd hydro tranny and would always race my friends 88 2.0si prelude and i would pull away in 3rd so would the dohc zc be a good competitor for the lude?(hes building it na later) so thanxs.

·
sub-sponsor
93 civic
5,175 Posts
dohc responds good to boost, not a big after market support for the motor so it will be a bitch to find n/a parts. just BOOST IT

·
Registered
Civic, crv, titan
1,505 Posts
As stated parts are harder to find for a ZC, but they are out there, cams, header, intake, etc. The best advice I can give from learning as I go:

Buy a good clutch and lighten the flywheel!! makes a huge difference, also the ZC tranny is a huge improvement and make sure you have the ZC ecu!! Keep your wheel size to a minimum and drop as much weight from the car as you can...

Vs the Prelude the weight difference is your biggest advantage!!! keep that in mind

·
Registered
110 Posts
zc's love boost but with good knowledge and plenty of experience you can build one hell of an na setup , my last race engine pulled 197whp at 7500rpm ( would of still pulled more but had to limit to 7500 because i was scared i would kick a rod ) im rebuilding it now with forged rods and even bigger cams and a set of quads ill post up the dyno graph when its done.

D

·
0 Posts
Boost. Mine is recieving a snail right now.

NA on D is like an amputee running a 5K marathon. You can try it...but why?

Boost.

D

·
0 Posts
Thruthfully? No.

Anyone that has a "fast" NA D series has it in a stripped ass EG CX hatchback (everybody's favorite goddamn car) or some other stripped, no comfort having hatch/CRX.

I mean, there were some SOHC's that tied with my B16A coupe...but both of them were EG CX's that the drivers stripped down to the carpet, where as my car was a fully loaded EX coupe.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ya that suck i wanted a cheap na d series oh well 100hp + in a car that weighs 2000 punds is still fun.

·
Registered
91 CRX Si
4,454 Posts
A frind of mine has a NA dohc ZC CRX that runs mid 13's. It Is gutted like stated earlier in the thread but it's still impressive.

B

·
0 Posts
building a NA D series is really futile unless you have crap loads of money or experience to throw at it.
Do what i did - make your car quicker point to point NOT in a straight line :)
There is no better feeling than jumping back into 2nd to rape soime slug of a supra/wrx/skyline (insert larger boat car here) thru any set of corners :)

( toda flywheel , HD clutch...otherwise totalyl stock. Full Tein SS coilovers , front castor kit , front and rear whitelien swaybars , enkei light ass rpf1 rims and good rubber etc etc)

D

·
0 Posts
bennjamin said:
building a NA D series is really futile unless you have crap loads of money or experience to throw at it.
Do what i did - make your car quicker point to point NOT in a straight line :)
There is no better feeling than jumping back into 2nd to rape soime slug of a supra/wrx/skyline (insert larger boat car here) thru any set of corners :)

( toda flywheel , HD clutch...otherwise totalyl stock. Full Tein SS coilovers , front castor kit , front and rear whitelien swaybars , enkei light ass rpf1 rims and good rubber etc etc)
In my opinion, the "lightweight" and "good handling" shit is a cop-out. A real car excels in speed and finess, not making up for shortcomings.

B

·
0 Posts
diegoaccord said:
In my opinion, the "lightweight" and "good handling" shit is a cop-out. A real car excels in speed and finess, not making up for shortcomings.
IYO i can accept :)

Its very feaseable chucking on a turbo kit or spending $10k + NA to get the same result , but if its your beater (like mine) then making it firm and handle like a gokart is just enough to keep you happy ;)

·
Registered
432 Posts
Now I am not going lie parts for the dohc zc engine are a little less plentyfull the the more infamous sohc honda brother....

But it is very easy...

First off I don't understand why people ask if a motor is better n/a or boosted..

in either situation unless your just going to do bolt ons... you to basically use the same parts but the ones that will sute the way your motor is aspirated...

pistons
rods
cams
Balancing the bottom end
Building the head
aggressive cams

all the same parts need to be changed in either situation the main difference is the pistons and in turn compression...

all d series motors including the dohc use the same size pistons and have the same sized bore..... meaning any d series piston (new d17 I'm not sure of) will drop right in.... so that covers your high compression pistons for na (allready high btw) and low dished pistons for turbo.

Thre are alot of rod options including eagle ( My personal fav.)

valve train items such as cams, valve themselves, retainers, springs, are plentyfull and can be found....

Many are just hidden and not listed under ZC

many are listed as for the 88-89 integra or d16a1.

The dohc zc responds to boost very well.
But can roar and scream na as well..

its just like a sohc but more effecient

·
Registered
344 Posts
yea ^^

i have an 89 d16a1 motor..same thing as a dohc zc basically. i have:

-race engineering pistons (will fit any d series)
-tuner toys h beam rods (will fit an d series)
-delta reground turbo cams (group buy on thezcr.com)
-jg adj cam gears (group buy on the zcr.com)
-p&p head (found online)
-bored out obd1 intake manifold (found online)
+more

basically, you just have to look to find anything. any 2000 and below d series exhaust/turbo manifold will fit, same with pistons/rods (except d15), the obd0throttle bodies are the same (if you gat an obd1 dohc zc intake manifold, you can use b series throttle bodies).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts