Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My current engine is a d16a6 , but i want to drop in Zc Dohc engine,.. but i want more power so what can i change or mod, for my power ? aftermarket? parts from other cars ?

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,904 Posts
damd son and i thought milo or me had bad grammer with puncutation.

Reactions: sleepingciv

·
Registered
72 Posts
If you live in California you will probably run into problems getting a DOHC ZC smogged in a 1990 Si, unless u find a ZC that is the same year or newer. I have a ZC and it is in my CRX which I feel is the ideal vehicle for the motor...very zippy. I like it but I haven't been able to drive it in a while cuz I have been having exhaust leak problems and not enough time to fix it. DOHC ZC is a good choice for EFs I would say because they are cheap and easy to put in.

·
Registered
57 Posts
he lives in canada. eather way its not a bad choice but if your only looking for 150hp at the flywheel just build your a6. p28 pistons a good cam and bolt ons will get you there.

·
Registered
see above
4,258 Posts
eh. z6 i/h/e tune, will beat a b16 and it will make more tq. plus parts are cheaper

·
Registered
90 CRX Si
3,866 Posts
Z6 is ok, just really need to convert to obd1 with it. I'd say either go for a ZC dohc and do some bolt ons, but you are limited in aftermarket. For the straight drop in, i'd do the ZC, but if you've got some time you could put a cam and p29 pistons(not p28) along with a cam and maybe some valvesprings/retainers. BTW only thing you'll need for the zc swap is a dizzy adapter which i think rywire sells for like 30 bucks. To me, a zc pulls harder than a z6 (sohc vtec), at least stock.

·
Registered
90 SI
316 Posts
eh. z6 i/h/e tune, will beat a b16 and it will make more tq. plus parts are cheaper
he's right ,parts are cheaper for d series. The Dohc zc pulls like an sob, but there's little support for it. I went w/ the DOHC, it looks great under the hood and can keep up w/ most stuff on the road.

·
Registered
1991 Rover 216 GTI .
132 Posts
I drive both,and if I want speed and comfort,I'll take the A6.If I just want speed,its the ZC every time.both have responded well to having their ports cleaned up,and slightly
raised compression.Short ratio box on ZC also makes it feel sportier. But you could just put P29-ZC pistons in your A6,chip your ECU and tune it,I bet it would be a beast.
Have a look round the forum.There are loads of amazing SOHC high comp builds to look at,but I love the ZC.

·
Registered
57 Posts
my bad i ment p29's not p28's in my post. i was kinda busy when i was typing and made a mistake.

·
Screwy lewy in red
2005 Honda Accord LX
1,546 Posts
I have DOHC ZC motor in my 1990 Honda Civic SI HB and I have to say it a great little engine it pulls nice!!! But I also have D16A6 motor too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts