Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
It has to be your ignition cam timing... I've never heard of ignition timing being off like that from any other way.

What marks did you use to line it up?

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
icarusdown said:
I used the inside marks on the cam gears to line them up together (and the pin holes through the cam caps and camshafts under the valve cover appear to line up perfectly as well.) The white mark on the pulley lines up perfectly with the gunsight on the timing cover.

It seems that if I were to advance the intake cam (the one attached to the distributor) I would then only be able to either make the two marks on the cam gears line up or the TDC mark on the pulley, but not all three at the same time like it is now. :scratches head:

I'll try it though and see what happens, unless anyone else has some ideas. I've just never set the timing on a DOHC before.

-ic
Interesting. This is with the correct ECU, I assume? What is base timing?

·
Registered
432 Posts
I had the same exact problem......

It turned out to be that the head was resurfaced so much it ended retarding the timing due to the diference in height with the timing belt........

1 easy solution is cam gears.....

another that worked well was to notch the bolt holes on the distributor out so you could turn it as far as you wanted to............

Just make sure to notch the side you have to turn it to advance it !!!!!!!!!!

if you need a drawing I will send one to you.....

·
Registered
314 Posts
icarusdown said:
I used the inside marks on the cam gears to line them up together (and the pin holes through the cam caps and camshafts under the valve cover appear to line up perfectly as well.) The white mark on the pulley lines up perfectly with the gunsight on the timing cover.
I made this mistake as well. The gunsight on the timing cover should NOT be used to set timing. on the crankshaft sprocket, there is a line on the edge of it, and there is an arrow imprinted on the block, and align the keyway completely vertical. you may have noticed that lining it up with the timing cover left the crankshaft pin rotated many degrees clockwise, the keyway should face up. I made that mistake changing my belt as well, and i couldnt get my ignition timing right at all. I'd check that again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts