Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i have this friend at work who insists he knows more about hondas & acuras then i do. I say BS right off and ask him an easy Q. What does vtec stand for, His very words were "I dont know". Then it turned into him knowing how to make my hatch fast and so on. The main point is he says it is not possible to make a SOHC turbo hatchback (96-99) run 13s all day with a FULLY stock internal motor. He believes doing a motor swap will be the only way to hit 13s. Please just post your mods, timeslips, whatever............so i can show him that STOCK TURBO SOHC motors can do 13s.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
kommon_sense said:
Well, here is the deal. You can make a daily driven sohc hit 13s on the track with stock internals. However it probably wouldn't be wise to run those boost levels daily driven w/stock internals. Can it be done? Yes.. Is it smart? No.
They call him "kommon sense" for a reason, you know. 8)

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
13s are easily obtainable on a SOHC VTEC @ 10psi

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, its not impossible, you just have to have some tricks up you sleave to do it. First of all, there is weight. IF you take some stuff out of the car you can get easily get the car to 2300lbs with driver. Mathematically it take 170whp to get a 2300lb car down the track in 13.9secs and 185whp to get it there in 13.5 secs. Now you need to take into consideration wind resistance and tire spin. Add ROUGHLY 20 hp for wind resistance and you need 205whp to run a 13.5. Now for tires, you need something that will grip, but will not slow you down top end. and also a good LSD

205whp on a stock bottom end d16 is not unrealistic. You need a small turbo and a good engine management. also you should port and polish the head and add a midly agressive cam. With the correct tuning this setup can last for years. Tuning is always the most important part.

now, im done with the theory. here is the realism. my friend has a 96 hatch that weighs a little under 2400lbs with him in it. I did the whole setup for him.
here it is:
d16y8
custom made (by me) tubular manifold (stainless steel)
custom made (by me) 2.75" down pipe and exhaust (stainless steel)
t28 turbo
medium size intercooler (forgot the dimensions)
2.5" charge pipes
b18c1 throttle body
ported and polished intake manifold
ported and polished head
crower stage 2 cam
valves, springs and retainers
full port and polish
Quaiffe LSD
Nitto555R street slicks
greddy emanage

and more

This setup has been on his daily driver for almost 2 years now. There is no problem.
When i first finished the car, he ran consistant mid 14s, now after taking the car down the track more times then i can count, he got used to it and he now runs high 13s pretty consistantly.

It is possible, but you are pushing the bottom end pretty close to its limit. The tuning is the key. will this motor last forever, no. But 2 years is long enough to save up for internals.

If this is the first honda you are doing, i would not attempt it.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Still, cost of changing just D internals vs. switching whole motor to a B...guess who wins.

PS> thanks to google...next time he asks, say Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control

·
Registered
260 Posts
Friend's setup in Miami....

98 Civic EX, no internal mods, no weight reduction

Bolt on Greddy turbo kit, intercooler, boost controller and some electronic goodies

Running 12psi on the stock internals, he got 220hp/200lbft at the wheels. That was daily driven for 25k miles before he took the turbo off to go even bigger...

On that setup, with no weight reduction at all, he was running 14.0 all day. Pull some weight out of the car and you'll be running 13s with no problems. Hell, a 98 EX Civic coupe isn't exactly the lightest Civic available- not by a long shot.

So- D16Y8 or D16Z6 in a Civic with some weight removed, plus $4000 (less if you do it yourself) for a turbo setup and some tuning will get you into 13s EASY.

I've got another buddy in Dallas with an Apex'i kit on a 2000 Civic EX coupe, and he runs in the high 13s pushing 12psi and 220whp. It's daily driven on stock internals too.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,228 Posts
fock all the fancy stuff with turbo's..........

93 DX HB, stock SOHC Z6 motor, 75 shot, IHE, slicks

13.09 @ 103 mph.

·
Registered
283 Posts
there used to be a guy on ImportSpeedSouth.com car forums with a stock civic ex, with IHE, a vafc and a 50 shot with some weight reduction running 12's.

·
D-Series O.G.
116 Posts
I have for the past 2 yrs run consistent 13s on stock internals:
1995 civic EX Coupe / Rear of car gutted

Greddy turbo system
custom intercooler off of probe gt
12 psi
rc 310cc injectors
MSD coil, cap wires
2.5" exhaust
test pipe
act 4 puck and xtreme press. plate
walbro 255 fuel pump
stock flywheel
stock 14" tires

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I used to run 12 daily on my car. But see it depends on how much you abuse your setup. (I also installed a Greddy 2mm headgasket to lower compressino form 10.25:1 to 9.75:1 so that was a help too) I didn't try t race it around every corner or at every light either. I only used it when I needed it. If your smart and save it for the really times you need it, there won't be any issues. (assuming you have had it properly tuned with some sort of standalone system and sporting larger injectors and the works like I did).

·
D-Series O.G.
116 Posts
I have run 12psi for about 2 yrs and i'm now switching engines to a ZC VTEC SOHC. I will lower the boost a bit though. maybe 10 psi

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
why are you going ZC? the D16Y motors flwo sooo mcuh better of the D16Z6 does too

·
D-Series O.G.
116 Posts
Here in Memphis Z6's are limited. and Hard to find. Everyone blows their z6/y8's up and go's B series......I can't stand a B series. The ZC only cost me $680 w/ shipping included from SOKO in Chicago. Got it in 2 days from the order date.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well you can get a Z6 or even a y8 for about the same shipped around here. try looking in larger import savy areas. dallas, is a good palce. you can go online and look up junkyards and find you a palce that has one in stock. a lot of yards ship motors out as well.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
oscarmayer said:
why are you going ZC? the D16Y motors flwo sooo mcuh better of the D16Z6 does too
how so? The d16z6 head flows way better than the d16y8 head.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts