Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I drive a mustang, but i wanna start building a hatchback civic. Now I know quite a bit about the B series motors but virtually nuthing about the D series motors...which one is a better build and/or cheaper build? Which makes more power etc?? My main goal is like 400whp somewhere in that range? Any input would is much appreciated thanks...

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
All the b-series haters will jump in and say a b is more expensive but I only have slightly more in my lsvtec than I had in my dohc zc (even before I built the zc).

You can make 400 on pump in a b something you will be hardpressed to do in a d.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All the b-series haters will jump in and say a b is more expensive but I only have slightly more in my lsvtec than I had in my dohc zc (even before I built the zc).

You can make 400 on pump in a b something you will be hardpressed to do in a d.
Yea that's what i was afraid of, I just heard these d motor's make more tq

·
Registered
95 civic
25 Posts
It just all depends on the build an where you want the power. A d16 generaly won't have the tq as a 2.0b

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
The misconception though is that you have to make 400 hp to be fast. 175 hp in my roommate's del Sol was good for 14.3 on street tires. The same setup is now in my EJ6 and I doubt I'll need more than 250 hp to be comfortably as fast as I want my car. Just my .02

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
The D is smaller and lighter than a B so with equal power and torque curves, the D will be faster.For the same effort, the B will make more revs and more power due to bigger heads bigger bore and shorter stroke.

The D will be more fuel efficient due to smaller bore and less chamber surface area.

The DOHC D vs the SOHC D is a question I am still asking.

·
11,892 Posts
The D is smaller and lighter than a B so with equal power and torque curves, the D will be faster.For the same effort, the B will make more revs and more power due to bigger heads bigger bore and shorter stroke.

The D will be more fuel efficient due to smaller bore and less chamber surface area.

The DOHC D vs the SOHC D is a question I am still asking.
1. Weight difference is negligible at best, the tranny is where the weight difference is and still not worth accounting for IMO.

2. So you're saying a LS and B16 have the same stroke?

3. Fuel efficiency? Really? You need to be more specific here. Comparing a A6 to a GSR in terms of fuel efficiency is ridiculous IMO.

·
I no longer haz teh pink eye! Iz got STINK EYE
3,332 Posts
:ugh: just depends on what you want and how much you want to spend. i dont make much and dont need a huge engine so i opted for a A6. i mean you can make 200hp but it also depends on the car its going into, a crx with 200hp is alot different then a mustang with 200hp. i say since your here at dseries, go with the D and get good gas mileage while having some good acceleration. :TU:

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
No matter how much power you make, It'll never have the same feeling as the mustang. That being said, I do enjoy driving my honda and it only has around 110hp.

·
Hi hater!
12,548 Posts
Oh boy this is going to turn into a shit sandwich soon........D's make torque do to them having a good bit of stroke but for 400hp you could do either. Besides what it cost to build the motor everything else is the same price for the most part. It more so depends on what resources you have and what you feel like messing with and what you have off hand. If you have a D16 sitting in your garage then why go out and buy a B. They both will make 400hp pretty easy.....

·
Registered
05 Legacy GT
867 Posts
Most any Honda making big HP run's a B or a K. Decide what your goal is. D's tend to eat more tranny's in the HP range your looking for compared to a B. A B tranny will take that power a lot longer.

That being said, when our car had 275whp on the d16z6, there weren't many Mustangs that could hang with it. Oh yea, could your stang break the tires loose in the top end of 3rd and 4th gear and still get 32mpg ?

Lots of good info on this site, just decide what you want to do and stick to it. I would say 300whp is plunty for the street. A low 11 second civic is a lot to handle safetly on the street. Remember these cars were not made to handle that kind of power. You need to spend a lot of cash to keep it safe...oh yea, buy a good alarm system.

·
No Tune No Life!
99 Supercharge Regal
2,045 Posts
Most any Honda making big HP run's a B or a K. Decide what your goal is. D's tend to eat more tranny's in the HP range your looking for compared to a B. A B tranny will take that power a lot longer.

That being said, when our car had 275whp on the d16z6, there weren't many Mustangs that could hang with it. Oh yea, could your stang break the tires loose in the top end of 3rd and 4th gear and still get 32mpg ?

Lots of good info on this site, just decide what you want to do and stick to it. I would say 300whp is plunty for the street. A low 11 second civic is a lot to handle safetly on the street. Remember these cars were not made to handle that kind of power. You need to spend a lot of cash to keep it safe...oh yea, buy a good alarm system.
enough said..

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
I recently purchased both a d17 and a B20 and had to slide them both out and lower them to the floor.

I had some panks and tyres, but was on my own. They were both complete long motors. At that point the weight difference and bulk was significant.

Also with a B you need a B series transmission and with a D you need a D series transmission. That compounds the weight difference.

Also a CRX is very light in itself and already a bit front heavy. The extra weight of both the engine and transmission in front of the front axle on a light front heavy car is possile to acomodate, but certainly less than desirable.

I never mentioned various B series compared to each other. I was always comparing B to D in general. Of course if you want to compare a stock D12 to a bored and stroked B20, well that was not asked in the OP.

In general the D has a smaller bore, a bigger stroke and a lower stroke to rod ratio than a B. In general that impacts on air flow, piston speed and acceleration near TDC, piston side thrust and heat losses to the cooling system. That impacts on power and torque curves and fuel efficiency.

·
11,892 Posts
I recently purchased both a d17 and a B20 and had to slide them both out and lower them to the floor.

I had some panks and tyres, but was on my own. They were both complete long motors. At that point the weight difference and bulk was significant.

Also with a B you need a B series transmission and with a D you need a D series transmission. That compounds the weight difference.

Also a CRX is very light in itself and already a bit front heavy. The extra weight of both the engine and transmission in front of the front axle on a light front heavy car is possile to acomodate, but certainly less than desirable.

I never mentioned various B series compared to each other. I was always comparing B to D in general. Of course if you want to compare a stock D12 to a bored and stroked B20, well that was not asked in the OP.

In general the D has a smaller bore, a bigger stroke and a lower stroke to rod ratio than a B. In general that impacts on air flow, piston speed and acceleration near TDC, piston side thrust and heat losses to the cooling system. That impacts on power and torque curves and fuel efficiency.
Lol didn't I say that most of the weight was in the tranny?

Speaking in generalities doesn't make your statements any more accurate.

D16's have among the worst r/s compared to a DOHC VTEC engine and are comparable to a DOHC NON-VTEC engine. So yes, the D16 suffers more stress etc etc because of this.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Haha no when i break loose in 3rd an 4th its more like 8mpg...question for you...you say that 275 whp is low 11's thats rly more or less what im shooting for but there are ppl here runnin 320 whp an smashin the low 11's...i guess it depends on the tune?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh boy this is going to turn into a shit sandwich soon........D's make torque do to them having a good bit of stroke but for 400hp you could do either. Besides what it cost to build the motor everything else is the same price for the most part. It more so depends on what resources you have and what you feel like messing with and what you have off hand. If you have a D16 sitting in your garage then why go out and buy a B. They both will make 400hp pretty easy.....
ok i was curious to know if they both were near priced each other, i was told the d series are waaay cheaper

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

an i mean what kinda money am i lookin...more than the b18 ls/vtec?

·
Registered
05 Legacy GT
867 Posts
You'll get all kinds of estimates....I'd say, plan on $5000 by the time everything is done...just think about all the small stuff and the buying the wrong part, more oils and fluids, then your going to want better suspension, brakes, axles, get the picture ? In the long run a nice B series seems to be the norm.

On the other hand, if the car comes with a good D series, you can boost it and get 200whp for around a grand if you do your homework. But then you want 400whp, your talking sleeves good rods and pistons, cam if you want this set up to last. There are a few Vatara setup out there running that kind of numbers but I'm not sure they are DD.

What are your plans for the car, just a weekend car or DD ?

1 - 20 of 86 Posts