Honda D Series Forum banner

does your new cam click...you may have a problem

1K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  oscarmayer 
#1 · (Edited)
check this...this is from my experience. after the installation of the zex 105300 there was loud clicking in the valvetrain. doin a little research in here it seemed that the clicks were "normal" for the 105300. NOT!!!

finally popped a retainer loose (more like it broke in half and came loose), bent valve, piston causes a ripple affect onto rod, and finally rod snapping and slamming into the cylinder head.

after the event the valvetrain was takin' out and inspected. my my my, overly excessive wear on the mid rocker where it (camshaft) had caused really flat and worn spots on the mid rocker contact area and had also carved the width of the vtec lobe into the mid rocker. during this "carving" the camshaft was also ruined due to itself developing flat spots..

lesson: check your valvetrain if you're going to install a stage 2 camshaft. get the recommended retainer and valve spring. if you here "clicking" it ain't normal and you should have it checked right away. why do you think zex recommends an upgraded valve train with the stage 2.

also, check your damn LMAs. those may also be messed up during the installation.

set-up: stock springs and retainers. valve lash set at .007in and .009ex, camgear set at +3 nothing else done to head. (no milling, drilling, none of that stuff)

See less See more
#5 ·
I agree if you want really agressive cam on stock rev limit, or higher rpm range with higher rev limiter... If you are about 7000rpm on stock valve srping you're right with stage 2 cam.

G
#6 ·
how many miles were on the stock springs and retainers????????
i had a friend do the same thing as you, but he put the cam in with 80,000 miles on stock springs and retainers. now if you have your head rebuilt and brand new stock ones put in you will be fine.

#8 ·
lol, my driving habits...well, the car sees 7000 rpms several times a day everyday.
the stock valvetrain had near 120k. and i wouldn't buy stock valve springs and retainers if i was to rebuild my head...but now i'm working on the head that my friend gave me a couple months ago...

#12 ·
My Zex stage 2 is making some clicking sound. I rebuild my engine, put 59300 with comp springs, .007in and .009ex, it make clicking sound when I drove it on the 1st day, and not after 800km, I re-adjust valve clearance, and still making a little clicking sound. So for the 59300 owner, is that clicking sound normal?

G
#16 ·
jozzy said:
i have in a 59300 and it ticks very loud i thought it was detonation but i dont even know what that sounds like.
how loud is this tick??
Is your loud tick at idle only or though out the rpm range? Did you reset the valve lash after cam break in (500 to 700 miles)? My y8 sounds like the valve cleance off or to wide, but it's not. It only ticks at idle, but it is louder than stock.

#21 ·
but putting a cam with that much lift on stock valvesprings that have 100k isn't a good ideal. just play it safe and spend a little cash and upgrade the valve springs. you'll be better off in the long run anyway.

G
#22 · (Edited)
Well, I just did a mini me and my motor is clicking like crazy. B7 with z6 head. Whats could be wrong? Could it be the valves? But I didnt do anything with the head. Just slap it on. Thats it. It click louder as you step on gas. Any ideas what is causing this? Everything is stock. Just a act street disc clutch.

G
#23 ·
Reason is the cam angles on the lobes are so great that it's slamming the loss motion devices around when not in v-tec. not a good thing....

Arachnid said:
check this...this is from my experience. after the installation of the zex 105300 there was loud clicking in the valvetrain. doin a little research in here it seemed that the clicks were "normal" for the 105300. NOT!!!

finally popped a retainer loose (more like it broke in half and came loose), bent valve, piston causes a ripple affect onto rod, and finally rod snapping and slamming into the cylinder head.

after the event the valvetrain was takin' out and inspected. my my my, overly excessive wear on the mid rocker where it (camshaft) had caused really flat and worn spots on the mid rocker contact area and had also carved the width of the vtec lobe into the mid rocker. during this "carving" the camshaft was also ruined due to itself developing flat spots..

lesson: check your valvetrain if you're going to install a stage 2 camshaft. get the recommended retainer and valve spring. if you here "clicking" it ain't normal and you should have it checked right away. why do you think zex recommends an upgraded valve train with the stage 2.

also, check your damn LMAs. those may also be messed up during the installation.

set-up: stock springs and retainers. valve lash set at .007in and .009ex, camgear set at +3 nothing else done to head. (no milling, drilling, none of that stuff)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.