Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's the story, I bought a 1997 Honda Civic EX Sedan with a D16Y8 Fully built. I don't think the build list matters but if you are curious just ask. The current Tranny on the car has a few issues. The biggest issue that is killing me is 2nd gear. It pops out of gear when going from 1st to 2nd in lower to mid rpm's. The second issue is 3rd gear has a grind when putting it in. It doesn't help that my car has a stage 4 XTD clutch and an 8.5lb Flywheel. I don't want to rebuild as I'm a ROOKIE at this stuff and just started learning the basics.

Somebody on craigslist is selling a 91 Si Tranny for 175$ with the axles. Is this a good deal and is it a direct swap? Can I use my original axles from my s40 or use the ones from the Si? Basically, am I going to have any issues with the swap if it's even possible?:wacko:

Thanks.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,226 Posts
N o where close to a direct swap, but the issues are an easy fix.

TOO much clutch and CSB has walked out. Might be a simple cleanup on the 3-4 or a full rebuild as needed once parts are inspected.

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
I think even if the trans was perfect, an issue I see is the china ebay clutch.

XTD

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Get a junkyard trans and it could have the same or more issues. Have the transmission rebuilt or get a rebuilt transmission.

www.wd-r.com
Do you think its a good idea to attempt rebuilding myself with no experience? Youtube has decent videos on how to rebuild these tranny's. I visited your website and I saw a rebuild kit from Synchrotech, is this the recommended brand that is the "must-have" when it comes to rebuilding? RockAuto has similar kits but obviously not as well known. I spoke to the people at the junkyard and they said they wouldn't sell me something that wasn't in "working" condition, and I can always exchange it for another through them. I'm not sure if they look over them, pretty sure they do but, they pull it and have it ready for me. I'm just looking for the best approach on this while saving money and time. I don't mind learning it's just this is literally my FIRST build and I want things to go well. Plus if I were to buy a kit which one do I need?

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,226 Posts
But it's "Fully Built".....

IMHO a "fully built" D series motor is $5,000 to just get started, $2,000 for the trans that Aquafina (forum sponsor) or I would build for it, then another $3000 in suspension, let along what is needed in the OEM chassis.

I've built at least 500 transmissions, no idea what Aquafina has built, but refer to him work when I don't have the time, ESP if they are closer to him.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
3,938 Posts
I think the y8 is "fully built".......but no mention of turbo so Im ASSuming its less than "stage 4"

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Do you think its a good idea to attempt rebuilding myself with no experience? Youtube has decent videos on how to rebuild these tranny's. I visited your website and I saw a rebuild kit from Synchrotech, is this the recommended brand that is the "must-have" when it comes to rebuilding? RockAuto has similar kits but obviously not as well known. I spoke to the people at the junkyard and they said they wouldn't sell me something that wasn't in "working" condition, and I can always exchange it for another through them. I'm not sure if they look over them, pretty sure they do but, they pull it and have it ready for me. I'm just looking for the best approach on this while saving money and time. I don't mind learning it's just this is literally my FIRST build and I want things to go well. Plus if I were to buy a kit which one do I need?
I don't know your mechanical abilities so its hard to say, but since you don't have a Helms manual and refer to Youtube, I would say no.

Synchrotech is the only rebuild kit I wil use. Others have ill fitting synchros and issues with synchros cracking.

"Working condition" is very vague. Many junkyards will take parts from several transmissions to make one "good" one. That is fine, except they don't set vital clearances and most don't actually know what to look for when inspecting parts.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,226 Posts
While I use mostly Synchrotech for parts, I use another supplier for certain 96-00 Y7/Y8 parts that are no longer available from the dealer. I might have bought the remaining stock on one item :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have no fucking clue what "fully built" means.
So when I mean "fully built" that is excluding the turbo/parts. my setup is a Vitara build. So the block has been bored/honed to fit 76mm Vitara's and P2P0 rods. I'm also running an aluminum block guard, ACL main/rod bearings and a D16A6 Crank from Nippon Racing. Suspensionwise I'm running Koni Struts and Tein S lowering springs. I bought the car with hopes of getting starting into engine building as it was a dream of mine. I figured Honda is the best platform to start. I Bought the car for 1800$ so I scooped it up. I've learned a lot so far and hope to continue. The Tranny the biggest issue on my mind and I finally found some answers with solutions.

I don't know your mechanical abilities so its hard to say, but since you don't have a Helms manual and refer to Youtube, I would say no.

Synchrotech is the only rebuild kit I wil use. Others have ill fitting synchros and issues with synchros cracking.

"Working condition" is very vague. Many junkyards will take parts from several transmissions to make one "good" one. That is fine, except they don't set vital clearances and most don't actually know what to look for when inspecting parts.
Obviously, I want things done right but I also want to learn. If I were to go through the route of having it rebuilt, what would be the estimated cost for the kit/labor? Also, where can I have the tranny rebuilt near me? I live in mn so not much around. I don't have the proper tools for this stuff so I don't know what I' getting myself into, I appreciate your help with this.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,226 Posts
You might not need the full rebuild kit. There are certain bearings that ALWAYS get replaced (input shaft bearing for example) while the case is apart, just like replacing the water pump when doing a timing belt.

Right now there are 5 trans builders I personally trust and two are on here.

Aquafina (forum sponsor) and I,
James O. in California
Spiker in PNW
Blake in central Georgia.

Shipping is your biggest hassle. Aquafina and I have threads on building a proper shipping box. Myself, I gave up on shipping now that I'm retired. I'd rather drive to meet the customer and pickup/drop off the repaired trans. Gas costs were about the same as shipping costs + crate building, and less worry about FedEx damaging or losing a transmission.

Could you imagine the claim on a trans. that has a value of $8,000 getting lost or damaged with parts that are no longer available?

While I can't speak for Chris', aka Aquafina/WhoopeeDoo Racing, https://wd-r.com/ our prices were very similar. He was a little higher but has a spiffy way of cleaning cases and I'm jelly about it.

On most of my builds, Labor/Cleaning vs. Parts, the labor is cheaper than the parts.

125 whp build vs. 400 whp build, choose LSD, decide if you need carbon synchros, the rest is all the same. You don't need carbons to run in the 10's, but it might help if you are a heavy handed gear slammer.

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
Generally, I see "fully built" and expect to hear about balancing all the rotating parts, measuring all tolerances and documenting them, etc...

Just why I was confused.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
3,938 Posts
lol, that's blueprinted.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You might not need the full rebuild kit. There are certain bearings that ALWAYS get replaced (input shaft bearing for example) while the case is apart, just like replacing the water pump when doing a timing belt.

Right now there are 5 trans builders I personally trust and two are on here.

Aquafina (forum sponsor) and I,
James O. in California
Spiker in PNW
Blake in central Georgia.

Shipping is your biggest hassle. Aquafina and I have threads on building a proper shipping box. Myself, I gave up on shipping now that I'm retired. I'd rather drive to meet the customer and pickup/drop off the repaired trans. Gas costs were about the same as shipping costs + crate building, and less worry about FedEx damaging or losing a transmission.

Could you imagine the claim on a trans. that has a value of $8,000 getting lost or damaged with parts that are no longer available?

While I can't speak for Chris', aka Aquafina/WhoopeeDoo Racing, https://wd-r.com/ our prices were very similar. He was a little higher but has a spiffy way of cleaning cases and I'm jelly about it.

On most of my builds, Labor/Cleaning vs. Parts, the labor is cheaper than the parts.

125 whp build vs. 400 whp build, choose LSD, decide if you need carbon synchros, the rest is all the same. You don't need carbons to run in the 10's, but it might help if you are a heavy handed gear slammer.
I saw that Synchrotech has remanufactured tranny's for 695.00$ which is fairly expensive for me. I'm willing to save myself the hassle of shipping/gas and labor and pay a few extra hundred. I see Aqua on other forums always helping everyone out, I have no dought he is a pro at this stuff. The goal of the car is to make 400whp or something close "Reliably". I know that my XTD Clutch probably won't allow me to but, I figured While I have the tranny out, me and my friend could put in a new clutch. I know everyone dislikes my clutch currently which I understand considering its price and brand. I would Like to run the Competition Stage 3 and flywheel as I think that would match my power level pretty well. But considering It's not turboed, I don't know if thats a good idea yet. I'm not planning to track the car but might be something i'm interested in later. I don't plan to turbo the car for a while as i'm still fixing issues with it. I drive pretty normal so no gear slamming for me. I don't know if ill behave the same once I get the turbo. Do you have any suggestions for clutch and what type of synchros I should get?

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,226 Posts
If $695 for a reman trans is too much, then you shouldn't be trying for 400 whp. Add a MFactory Torsen LSD for $700 retail and you'd have a trans ready for 400 whp, but I'd upgrade to carbon synchros while in there as well, another $200 retail.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts