Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know someone that has this setup on their hatch and was wondering (my in-experienced self) whether it was a safe/legit setup, since he claims it's serving out low 13's at the track...

D16Y7 Powerplant:

Venom IM
vitara piston
eagle rods
KMS blockguard
new honda bearing and gaskets
hasting rings
head is stock
arp headstuds and rod bolts
balance and blueprinted
clutchmasters stage 2 clutch

Turbo set up:
450cc
255lph walboro pump
XS turbo manifold
turbo t3 42/48
drag FMI
evolution w/g
Greddy boost controller with push button
Greddy TT
Blitz bov
arospeed fpr
autometer boost guage

Comments anyone//

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
right, but does the set-up sound safe u think?

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
depends...do you know the c/r, and management system being used? as long as fuel and timing and all that stuff is ok and right OCTANE then it should be fine...i mean safe...

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mikeyp5d said:
right, but does the set-up sound safe u think?
That depends on if the build was done properly and if the car has a good tune on it. But yeah, as far as parts go, it seems like a pretty good setup. What is he using for engine management? Also, it depends on the amount of boost he is running, obviously not off the wastegate with a boost controller.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
SOHC-Turbo said:
That depends on if the build was done properly and if the car has a good tune on it. But yeah, as far as parts go, it seems like a pretty good setup. What is he using for engine management? Also, it depends on the amount of boost he is running, obviously not off the wastegate with a boost controller.
beat ya to it lol

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
he's pushing 17 psi...I know he had it proffesionally built and tuned by "Tuning by L'Orange." He claims that it was tuned "conservatively", but personally I had no idea the d's were even capable of that much boost --Although, the more I read on this site, the more I realize how capable a d is.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
its possible...i have a stock head/built block and we can get it to go 20+ lbs, not too often, but its been done...

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright, I'll be totally honest...I'm probably gonna buy the hatchy and I wanted some criticism on the beast. She really is a beaut', but it just threw me off a bit when I found that it was powered by a non vtec D. He swears up and down that the setup is completely safe, and not that I don't believe him, but it helps to get feed back from outsiders I think.

I swear to god I'm in love with the car, though...sooo clean.....and if it's pulling 13's, it's more than enough power for someone like me- considering my stock R32 was 13.9 on the best day of her life:)

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
kinda figured u were going to buy it or replicate it...just remember MANAGEMENT FUEL TIMING OCTANE and youll be fine...and dont drive her hard everytime you drive...

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How can I check the timing out to make sure it's on point?

By octane, you mean premium fuel all the time, right?

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
im not good wit timing...and octane, depending on your boost level and c/r will determine the octane u need...hopefully u can still use pump gas at 17lbs

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
k1d, are you trying to tell us your running 20+psi on a stock motor????

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
ok, hold up there hoss, lets get some things straightened out.
you said" cr determins the octaine you need" actually, your cr has NOTHING to do with octaine. do you need higher octaine when running high cr yea, but I have seen guys run 87 with 12:1 on old v8s. so no it doesn't deligate your needs, tuning does.

boost is added cyclinder preesure and that is what causes problems in D motors.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
oscarmayer said:
k1d, are you trying to tell us your running 20+psi on a stock motor????
no...stock head...built block to handle 20+ and 300 whp (whichever came first lol)...i think i might have blown sumthin tho lol...

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
13's is possible on a stock y7. one of the mods on h-t ran 13.9 with the tiny ass GREDDY kit.... now think of whatu can do wit the y7 in that hb u want to by

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
if u are in experienced you should not buy this car. buy a stock one and do it yourself. learn while u are at it.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
you guys keep calling the greddy kit tiny, but i ran 248 wheel power on my greddy kit @14 lbs of boost. how is that tiny?

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
k1dfreeze said:
no...stock head...built block to handle 20+ and 300 whp (whichever came first lol)...i think i might have blown sumthin tho lol...
yea stock head is not much more than like 310-320 hp. call endyn, www.theoldone.com for a real head job. thery r the best.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts