Honda D Series Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled mine out to find a stream of oil dripping off the hot side of the motor. it was misfiring badly and wouldn't start the other day. Checked spark at the wire, looked good. Figured it was fuel, swapped the injectors and it started but it was misfiring randomly. Started getting very bad, decided to pull the plugs. Then i sand blasted the carbon build up off of them, and they should work awesome again.

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
Another useless thread.

Reactions: SpoonSedan

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
lol, but he didn't slack. a slacker woulda used a wire wheel. he pulled out the big (air) guns

new>wire wheel>sand blast

Agreed, why be cheap for some plugs with what a motor cost. Thought I would humor him tonight.

·
Two men shy of a group
99 civic sedan ex
1,312 Posts

·
D-series Janitor
Front Engine Dragste
1,220 Posts
Yes, it works.

My only good sandblast spark plug story is several years ago I worked part-time while in college at a race car shop that primarily built mustangs. Guy who owned the shop was taking a grudge car to the track later that night and had the car on a chassis dyno getting the nitrous kits sorted out. Melted a plug so I grabbed one from a scrap head that was laying outside for years, sandblasted it, put it in the head, made sure everything was running okay and went to the track.

I know since its a O/T car/motor this won't matter as much, but it was a very basic 5.0L setup with a pro-shifted manual and went 5.80s in the 1/8 and looked/sounded like a mild street car.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,466 Posts
View PostUnread Today, 12:39 AM
Remove user from ignore listp-m-b,95dxcoupe
This message is hidden because p-m-b,95dxcoupe is on your ignore list.

I cant even see it yet I am sure its fucking stupid
I pulled mine out to find a stream of oil dripping off the hot side of the motor. it was misfiring badly and wouldn't start the other day. Checked spark at the wire, looked good. Figured it was fuel, swapped the injectors and it started but it was misfiring randomly. Started getting very bad, decided to pull the plugs. Then i sand blasted the carbon build up off of them, and they should work awesome again.

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,466 Posts
must wait 24 to rep

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Moved to n00b forum.

This doesnt work because the reason spark plugs fail is from "electrical erosion" which eats away metal. You cant blast metal back. Also they loose the ability to contain compression after a while, and sand blasting can not fix this.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Moved to n00b forum.

This doesnt work because the reason spark plugs fail is from "electrical erosion" which eats away metal. You cant blast metal back. Also they loose the ability to contain compression after a while, and sand blasting can not fix this.

Reactions: 92CXyD

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I talked to an NGK employee and they told me its awesome idea. I checked the gaps, they're still proper. They look brand new, after running them for a day I bet they're black again but no more misfire.

NGK says ONLY sand blast the electrode, and wire wheel the threads. Not any other way. Sand blast with low pressure (nope), but they do work awesome again :)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.