Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
91 Hatch rally car
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got a fancy Mechman alternator that came with a 4-rib pulley. Our crank pulley is 3-ribbed. The belt lines up just fine on the inner 3 ribs of the alternator pulley, but I'd like a 4-rib version of the crank pulley to get a bit more belt surface area. Alternatively, I can machine out the id of an oem alternator pulley and slap it on the new alternator, but that's not the way I'd like to go.
Any pulleys from other motors that would work?

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,745 Posts
Yep, manual B7/B8, Maybe even a Z1. Might have one here.

·
Registered
6,897 Posts
junkyard, grab one from a 92-95 civic, any engine.
Remember to follow Honda's spec for repalcing the crank pulley. AKA new OEM bolt, oiling the underside of head and washer, and Honda's specific torqing sequence.

Would suck to be using that Mechman alt to its fullest, and have a wobbling crank pulley try to head out and ruin your day.

·
Registered
93 4d lx, z6,ported, port matched, compression bumped, balanced, manual swap
729 Posts
have a wobbling crank pulley try to head out and ruin your day.
Been there done that, learned my lesson, I now keep a few new crank pulley bolts in stock, which reminds me, I used my last one yesterday, time to reorder... why does it only happen on the short rod d15s though? Never had one crack loose on anything else.

·
Registered
6,897 Posts
Ive had it come loose on nearly every D motor Ive come across, whether the previous owner said they torqued it properly, or rammed it down with an impact.

Most of the time, it is the rust under the head/washer that is holding it, not the actual threads. That is why in some setups, it likely wont come off as easy.

·
Registered
93 4d lx, z6,ported, port matched, compression bumped, balanced, manual swap
729 Posts
Hmmm... nothing but the short rod d15 has ever given me issues, but maybe my paranoia prevented it before I started seeing the later engines

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,745 Posts
Never had a crank bolt come loose.

Never had one I couldn't remove.

Never replaced the bolt either.

Campbell Hausfield 1/2" impact is undefeated!

·
Registered
6,897 Posts
My Milwaukee half inch cordless laughed and laughed and laughed. Broke couple snap-on sockets. Never broke a Pittsburg impact socket from harborfreight, I swear they messed up and accidentally made the shells triple thickness.

·
Registered
91 Hatch rally car
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Never had a crank bolt come loose.

Never had one I couldn't remove.

Never replaced the bolt either.

Campbell Hausfield 1/2" impact is undefeated!
We slather it locktight and send it home with the ugga-dugga gun. Never comes loose and we can usually get it off with out too much drama beyond jacking up the air pressure a bit.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,745 Posts
We slather it locktight and send it home with the ugga-dugga gun. Never comes loose and we can usually get it off with out too much drama beyond jacking up the air pressure a bit.
No need to up the pressure, just need flow through the right fittings.

My $200 IR gun was weaker than the old standard $40 CH until I changed the fittings.

Normal size fitting on the left that everyone uses.

·
Registered
91 Hatch rally car
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No need to up the pressure, just need flow through the right fittings.

My $200 IR gun was weaker than the old standard $40 CH until I changed the fittings.

Normal size fitting on the left that everyone uses.

I run 1/2 in air hose and fittings on all my tools. I have a 3/4 inch hose to feed my 1 inch drive gun. I have a large compressor that can deliver 22.6 cfm at 175 psi. There's not much that I can't either loosen or destroy in the process. If all that fails, it can't be tight if it's liquid. :)

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,292 Posts
was just gonna " lol in 1inch old school ingersol rand and 1 inch air lines ", but you beat me to it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts