Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

This season I am racing my stock 91 Civic RT4wd with the Adirondack Motor Enthusiast Club A.M.E.C. Ice Racing in the Street legal 4wd class. we have a spec tire class, which allows us to use Nokian Hakkapelitta 8 tires. There are the normal winter tires you can get at the local tire shop.
I am under powered by the Turbo Audis, WRX, and EVOs but can hang in there.

Race starts about 2:10
Car: 1991 Honda Civic RT4wd
Tires: Nokian Hakkapelitta 8
Grab 1st place, then stuff it twice in the first lap!
http://youtu.be/XPoxJ1pk1S0

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Thats pretty awesome.
Would the rules allow you to make some modifications for more power?

Any pics of the car?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats pretty awesome.
Would the rules allow you to make some modifications for more power?

Any pics of the car?

We opened the rules this year so you can almost any modification in Street legal. The limiting factor is the tires.

I do not have a current pic of the car, but is is a rusty red 91 civic RT4WD with steel wheels :)

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
We opened the rules this year so you can almost any modification in Street legal. The limiting factor is the tires.

I do not have a current pic of the car, but is is a rusty red 91 civic RT4WD with steel wheels :)
Time to go turbo then :shifty:

·
Registered
181 Posts
More power doesn't do you much good on ice :)

I did a bunch of ice time trials last year with Boston chapter BMWCCA up on Newfound Lake in NH.Basically rallyX on ice. Will be doing a few more this winter in my friend's prizm.

Might be making the trip out with a friend to one of the AMEC events this winter as well.

·
Never finishes (TWSS)
1,831 Posts
Man thats bad ass. I tried to get into ice racing on my cr250 but there is no one around here doing it. So it got boring by my self lol

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Classic Man
16,355 Posts
I would say if you are under powered go to a class with less traction so you can even the playing field.

Are your tires studded? If so, good luck trying to with with a D series.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am running a stock class with allows only Nokian haaka 8. Above 40 or 50 miles an hour, a turbo would come in handy. A LSD would really help.

·
Classic Man
16,355 Posts
I am running a stock class with allows only Nokian haaka 8. Above 40 or 50 miles an hour, a turbo would come in handy. A LSD would really help.
You never answered my question if you run studs or not.

If you do run studs you will never win, your car is too slow.

Go to a studless class and win!

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
You never answered my question if you run studs or not.

If you do run studs you will never win, your car is too slow.

Go to a studless class and win!
Hakka 8s come studded. Honestly the traction on ice is still so low i didnt feel that disadvantaged against heavier, higher powered cars in rallycross on ice. The wagons goofy rt4wd gearing in the rear made it pull straight on power, really stable on ice. Dirt on the other hand, power is king. I'm sure it's a challenge to keep up on more of a roadcoarse style course but AMEC is more like "gentlemen's wheel to wheel" so it's pretty friendly, but i bet he's not too far behind higher torqued, heavier subarus and audis.

·
Classic Man
16,355 Posts
There is a lot of local ice racing. My co worker is a very accomplished racer. He would laugh at the idea of running against studded cars in a stock Honda. But, he owns the rubber classes. I recall him saying his fastest car was a 83ish 1.3L carbd civic.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts