Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's best to order a Z6 headgasket even for an A6 engine?

sorry for noob question, but I have gotten mixed info...

·
Registered
1991 Rover 216 GTI .
132 Posts
If your going with metal gasket,I would deck the block,Ive had 2 fail ,one on a A6 other on ZC,both skimmed not decked,both failed around top of sleeve,put normal gasket back in both,3000 miles no probs.Metal gasket failed by 500.both engines about 100000 miles on them.
Iv'e got a spare DOHC ZC engine ill deck and skim that and see how much longer that lasts.

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
MLS>graphite in almost every case. I generally still coat headgaskets with copper dressing to help sure that they seal on less than perfect surfaces and hopefullyprevent the gasket from sticking to the head or block, thus allowing you to reuse the gasket, if you want.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Massive assumption,I am quite methodical in my work,and followed correct procedure.
no, actually its not. why? cause many people have been using them. honda even suggests them for the a6.

possible reasons why yours failed:
  • warped the head during tq'ing
  • incorrect tq spec for a MLS HG
  • incorrect tq step
  • bad tq wrench spec
There isn't even a consensus on this board about whether or not you should use a d-series engine!
correct! i would bet almost half the "active" (the "die hards") members of the board don't even have their d-s anymore.

·
Registered
90 CRX Si
3,866 Posts
depends where you want your compression. if you want it stock, get a Cometic MLS the same thickness as the a6. if you dont care about a .1 or .2 bump, run the z6...its cheaper
x2. The 2 Z6 ones i've used haven't been composite, AFAIK only the old A6 ones were composite, but I think now all hg from Honda are not composite (at least on a D)

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
depends where you want your compression. if you want it stock, get a Cometic MLS the same thickness as the a6. if you dont care about a .1 or .2 bump, run the z6...its cheaper
.1 or .2 on a otherwise stock car is unnoticeable and completely safe right?

ps...everyone reped in this thread, thanks for all the input guys!

·
Registered
129 Posts
^ should be but don't hold me for it. With my Y8 I took the middle layer and it's suppose to raise compression. I can't really tell a difference because my motor before was crap.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts