Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
D-Series Rally Man
Mitsubishi/Hondas
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im building the rally car, ongoing project, and the cooler is super rusty, it doesnt look too great and was wondering if I can get away with not running it? It will just make the steering a little heavier right?? Id like to get rid of it to scrub a lil extra weight too. Comment back, rep for good replies Thanks!!!

·
insert user title here
domestic.
3,015 Posts
powersteering cooler?
i dont even have powersteering

·
Registered
296 Posts
Ah I don't think the stock 'cooler' is doing much as it is. I've had mine off and just looped a piece of hose between the two ends. If its in the way, maybe get a smaller aftermarket cooler, or a junkyard one. Ones that came on SUVs would work perfect and I've seen a lot that are maybe 5X8 or so. Something along those lines would actually do the job and keep fluids cooler.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I read some stuff about losing the pump and converting the power steering into manual too. Seems pretty easy. There are kits that any of us could make to work as a catchall/vent for the pressure that can build up. Others have just plugged it up and pulled the pump and everything else.

Talk about shaving off some pounds, a manual rach is about $75-100 at the junkyard and they fit a wide range of vehicles. That may be the BEST solution for you. I also understand that the PS rack has a tighter turn ratio than the manual. SO making a PS rack into a Manual could be advantageous.

·
Premium Member
A lot
2,028 Posts
If you plan to run an aggressive LSD anytime in the future, then you want to retain your power steering. The added weight is well worth the gains in driveability.

I just finished installing power steering on my Civic rally car (its a VX and didnt come with power steering) which has a Kaaz LSD and it has made a significant difference.

I would ditch the factory sorry excuse for a cooler and go with a aftermarket cooler as previously suggested. There are several companies out there that make them and most all of them are under $50, I myself went with a Perma-Cool unit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts