Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 88 hatch with a turbocharged d16y7 in it and i dont think it has an evap purge valve installed (i cant find it)

Do i need one to pass az emissons? from what i am finding via google it wasnt installed in the 88 civics, but it was installed in vehicles that had the y7 in it, will not having it affect emissions (via the tail pipe?) will the emissions people look for a purge valve

·
Registered
Civic/92Achieva H.O.
1,240 Posts
as long as the canister is being ported to the throttle and working thats what the visualy look for, they may also pinch the line and check for gas tank pressure, and it will be ran on the rollers with the sniffer, open the wastegate so it doesnt go into boost and as well make sure timing is nice and advanced with fuel trimmed out or you will get bad readings, where in az are you?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
avondale, right now the ecu is being chipped with a y7 basemap, when that gets back I will be checking the base timing, the car will be emissioned with the charge pipes disconnected

do you know what the base timing is for a d16y7

·
Registered
136 Posts
avondale, right now the ecu is being chipped with a y7 basemap, when that gets back I will be checking the base timing, the car will be emissioned with the charge pipes disconnected

do you know what the base timing is for a d16y7
Why disconnect it? If the tune is good you shouldn't have any problems with your emissions. I'd be worried about removing the charge pipes and spinning the turbo up, personally. May not hurt anything but I'd be concerned.

Chris

·
Banned
1,234 Posts
In Colorado the only visual they do is check VIN numbers, and make sure you have a cat. Other than that, they pressure test your gas cap, and do a sniffer on the dyno. I wouldnt worry about the purge valve or charcoal canister. Most of the Air Care techs dont have a clue what theyre looking at, other than what theyre instructed to look at.

And Im with Chris. I definitely wouldnt disconnect the charge pipes. Youll end up over spooling the turbo, as you wont create any pressure, so the wastegate will never open. Bye bye bearings.

·
Registered
487 Posts
As long as they think the y7 is the original motor they won't look for anything else. They will only look for what is require for that year vehicle. I wouldn't worry about it in terms of visual, but actually passing emission itself is a different story.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts